cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help setting up home network

N/A

need help setting up home network

Shockedops: connected to adsl thruogh the solwise router have then connected to a 8 port hub and on to my pc
now i'm trying to connect the other 2 pc's in the house but the ip is already in use with my pc how do i get around this problem

please help
1 REPLY
N/A

Adding Extra PCs

I assume your Solwise router is not set to act as a DHCP server for your PCs? I'm not sure if the router has that capability, but if it does, this would be an easy way to get the PCs configured -- you would just need to set them to obtain their IP settings automatically.

If the router doesn't have that capability, it's not difficult to configure the PCs appropriately. Your second and third PCs need to be set up exactly the same as the first one, except for their IP addresses (and hostnames of course). They need to have IP addresses with the same network part as the first PC but the host parts of the IP address needs to be different for each PC.

A relatively easy way to get the information you need would be to issue the command ipconfig /all on your first PC and use this information to configure the others.

Here's an example (based on my own output):

>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : nightowl
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet LAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : taskmeister.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dabs Value 10/100 RJ45 PCI (ALN-101R06)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 63-5A-32-B9-83-C3
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

>

The important bits are the last few lines:
  • The IP Address field gives the IP address of the host on which you ran the command (ie your first PC, the one which is working). As I said, the other two PCs must be given IP addresses which have the same network part as this one, but different host parts.Some of the other fields listed will help us work this out...

• The Subnet Mask field tells you which part of the IP Address corresponds to the "network" component (and therefore which part - the remainder - is the "host" component.. In my case the first three bytes/octets (whatever you want to call them) are "network", as indicated by the "255s", leaving the final octet as the "host" part, as indicated by the "0". You should use exactly the value you see here for the subnet mask on your other two PCs.

• Confirmation of this can be seen in the Default Gateway field, which is an IP address with the same "network" part as this host, but a different "host" part - the last octet is different, but the first three match. The Default Gateway is actually the Ip address of your Solwise Router, as seen from your local network (it will also have a second, different address, which is its IP address as seen from the Internet at large, but we get no idea of that from the information here). You should use exactly the value you see here as the Default Gateway value on your other two PCs.

• The DNS Servers field lists IP address(es) of machine(s) which will provide hostname resolution services to this PC. You'll note that one of these is the same as my Default Gateway (my ADSL Router), indicating that it possesses DNS forwarding capabilities. Yours may be same, or it may not, it doesn't matter: just use exactly the same values as you see on your output for your other two PCs.

• Finally, the Primary WINS Server. You may have something here, you may not: again use exactly what appears in your output for your other two PCs.

So, most things can just be copied from the output from this command. The only thing you have to worry about are the IP addresses (and hostnames) of the two new PCs. Just makes sure the hostnames are unique (anything which appeals to you), and the IP addresses are unique, but with the same network portion of the address, and different host portions. The host portion for you is probably the last byte of the IP address, the same as it is for me, and if you make sure you have a different number here for each of the two PCs, and that they both differ from the value for your router (shown to you in the Default Gateway field) and of the first host (shown to you in the IP Address field on this output), then you'll probably be home and dry.