cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my floppy drive is write protected

Patch
Grafter

my floppy drive is write protected

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas why when I try to copy files to a floppy drive on a laptop I get an error message saying that the disk is write protected when it isn't?

Thanks!

Patch
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: my floppy drive is write protected

> Just wondered if anyone had any ideas why when I try to copy files to a floppy drive on a laptop I get an error message saying that the disk is write protected when it isn't?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patch

Check the write protect swick again, which is on the back of the disk and in the bottom right. Make sure its up ie no hole.

If that doesnt work try another disk or format it
--
MICROSOFT = Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools
Teenagers
elton
Grafter

> Just wondered if anyone had any ideas why when I try to copy files to a floppy drive on a laptop I get an error message saying that the disk is write protected when it isn't?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patch

Try shutting the lappy down and turning it off. Then unplug the floppy drive, plug it in again, then reboot the machine.
It could be a dirty or badly seated connector making the operating system think the floppy is write-protected.

--
Skonko!
Patch
Grafter

> > Just wondered if anyone had any ideas why when I try to copy files to a floppy drive on a laptop I get an error message saying that the disk is write protected when it isn't?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Patch
>
> Try shutting the lappy down and turning it off. Then unplug the floppy drive, plug it in again, then reboot the machine.
> It could be a dirty or badly seated connector making the operating system think the floppy is write-protected.
>
>
> --
> Skonko!

Thanks tried all that, even tried swapping the drive for an identical one we have, but the same problem.
I wondered if it was a bios thing, but I have upgraded to the latest bios version, and looked through it and found no settings for protecting floppys in the bios, so I'm not sure what to try now.
elton
Grafter

>
> Thanks tried all that, even tried swapping the drive for an identical one we have, but the same problem.
> I wondered if it was a bios thing, but I have upgraded to the latest bios version, and looked through it and found no settings for protecting floppys in the bios, so I'm not sure what to try now.

I don't know what type of laptop you've got, but a Sony Laptop I used to have, used the parallel printer port to connect the external floppy drive. There was something in Control Panel, to select the port for use as a printer port or floppy interface. If it wasn't set correctly, the floppy drive would misbehave.

--
Skonko!
N/A

i think yer floppies just kicked the bucket m8 Sad

i had the same problems and after taking it out, re attaching all cables etc etc i still had no joy. However £5 for a new floppy drive isn't heavy on the pocket so i just bought a new one....
N/A

check in your bios there might be an option to set the floppy drive to read-only change this to full access and

tadaaaa