cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple Bulletin Boards on my CGI space

N/A

hi there,
is it possible to run multiple Bulletin Boards on my CGI space?

if yes, do I simply repeat the installation process, as I did for the first one and just create a new folder with new permissioning, or is there another way.

Thanks very much for help

regards Robby
6 REPLIES
N/A

I would say yes, but it obviously depends on which board you are using. I use YaBB and I would imagine that as you can edit the settings file to get the programme to create directories where you want them, then a minimal install in each directory name you want can call the rest of the files from your main "YaBB" folder.

Mark
N/A

thanks Mark, for your reply.
I use phpBB, and after I completely screwed up my first attempt with tempering with the bulletin board, I try to be a bit more careful this time.

the phpBB installation works as follows.
coopy ZIP file to CGI space, run installation which then creates a folder with all its files. Just permissioning and parameter setting.
So if I do exactly the same again, I would think there wont be a problem, OR?
Or a the two bulletin boards interfering with each other?

Problem is, I am new to all that php-stuff

Might just have a go. Worst case - wipe everything clean and reinstall

Robby
N/A

I would imagine that if you load the zip file to a new directory it will install itself there, although i'm not 100% and know nothing about php. The only problem I see is that the graphics and other stuff will take up a lot of your extra space. Perhaps if you unzipped the file yourself and only uploaded the files without the images? There must be a way to link to the images you havi in the other board in the admin section?

Regards

Mark
ncreu
Grafter

Re: multiple Bulletin Boards on my CGI space

hi there,
is it possible to run multiple Bulletin Boards on my CGI space?

Since phpBB2 uses the MySQL database I imagine you would need a separate database for a second copy.

It might make more sense to install something other than phpBB2 as the second board.
I don't believe that it's possible to have more than one table with the same name in a single MySQL database. Can't say for certain, but that would seem to be logical.

What happened when you tried to install the second board?

Richard
N/A

Re: multiple Bulletin Boards on my CGI space

Since phpBB2 uses the MySQL database I imagine you would need a separate database for a second copy.

A second database would certainly work, but Force9 allows only one.

However, there's another solution. phpBB has a "table prefix" (the "Prefix for tables in database" option on the installation screen -- the default is "phpbb_") which may be used to differentiate the tables for several forums all sharing a single data base. Just make sure each forum instance uses a different table prefix value.
N/A

Thanks very much for all ideas and comments.

It worked!!

I copied the phpBB zip file into my CGI space again, and extracted file a second time.
I renamed the newly created phpBB2 folder to my second bulletin board name.
When installing phpBB via browser, I made sure that table prefixes got a new name, as you guys recommended.

Just finished installation as usual.

Have two BBs running on one database now.

Helps a lot and makes life much easier

Thanks again Robby