Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motherboard/processor configuration

cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
I bought a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard and AMD Athlon XP 3000 ( 333MHz) oem Barton Core processor.
I took it to a computer shop to be fitted but was told there was a problem with one of them as there were bios/fan errors and then windows crashed before fully loading. I sent the components back to Micro Direct ( who incedently are an awful company to deal with ) who said there was nothing wrong. I should get the components back tomorrow ( been waiting two weeks ) so does anyone know the bios configurations for the motherboard.

Thanks
Tynesider
11 REPLIES
N/A

Bios Information

Hello,

OK lets see if we can untangle this story abit, well an ASUS motherboard sounds fine to and the AMD processor sounds fine too. Did you check that both of these parts (components are compatible with each other)? They should be though as far as I can see.

**You would have to find out the name of the maker of the BIO's, such as Phoenix or American Mega Trends,etc before it would be possible to determine the exact bios configuration that would be required for your precise system.

**Usually if you have a fully working system the bios maker is displayed during the POST (power on self test) as the very first text shown on screen, it often is only shown for seconds.

**The bios fan error sounds pretty doubious to me, I've never heard of bios fan errors before and I've never heard of this crashng windows before either. I'm NOT saying this isnt possible but I've never come across this myself and I have build & repaired quite a few PC, & servers in my 12years plus of IT experience.

**Windows Crashing sounds more likely to be bad hardware from the sound of it. But again I dont know because I havent seen the parts involved. Its also worth bearing in mind that Microsoft do outline what a required minimum hardware specification is and that its also worth seing if your parts (such as MB & CPU) are listed as being windows compatible (such as for Win2K or XP etc).

**You need to find out ALL the bios details not just the makers name but the specific bios revision (such as 2.1.09 or A2.9 whatever it is) and the date of this bios.

**It may be that the bios can be upgraded or revised to improve the config or supported MB features.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi.
Thanks for that unfortunatley I don't have the motherboard or processor back from MicroDirect yet, hopefully it will come tomorrow. I asked MD to send the configuration of the bios as they have had them on test and say they are but I doubt they will as their customer service is very poor.
The other problem is if I install the board and processor and its not working then I cannot get online to seek help. I have heard that that the bios should be run at a speed of 166 and the ram at 400. As for the fan, the motherboard has a voice activated error detection on it and it was saying the CPU fan failed, even though it seemed to me to be working fine and was plugged in the correct socket. If only MD would let me know the settings for the bios everything would be ok.

Thanks for your help
Tynesider
N/A

More

Hello Tynesider,

OK what your saying now makes FAR more sense to me, MD sound like an aweful company to buy from and deal with. Often companies like these offer systems that sound very good, especially if your trying to buy or build your own system from scratch. But where one wins on price (i.e. very low prices) one definately pays a high price else where and that 9 times out of 10 is in customer support or technical support with the products concerned. Anyway, I digress really.

**What do they mean "they have them on test?" a bios is a bios is a bios!! It either doesnt give you certain features or it does end of story.

**When you say the bios should be run at such & such a speed, I think your getting technical terms mixed up a bit here. The bios itself doesn't have a speed, its the local bus which is an integal part of the ASUS board that has a speed. This is the overall system speed defined in MegaHrtz, which means the speed at which data is communicated between component parts of your machine such as from keyboard via the CPU to draw an image on your display. The overall performance of a system is governed bye the local bus speed NOT bye the clock speed of the processor or memory or hard drive size etc. And as far as my technical knowledge goes its my understanding that the local bus speed on a MB is a FIXED speed and cannot be changed (unless someone else knows differently). So are you saying that the ASUS board has a 166hrtz local bus speed? This local bus speed cannot be changed in the bios but is fixed bye the manufacturer (ie. in the factory were its made).

** 400 are you refering here to the speed of the memory such as 400 mega hrtz RAM? What type of memory chips are in this system? as this does have some bearing on the systems performance too.

**The bios and its version and its feature set govern at the highest system level what parts will or wont work with this system. The bios determines things like the size and type of hard disk drive you can use such as IDE or EIDE or SCSI, the maximum amount of RAM supported and so on. The bios hangs all the PC parts together and so its vital for the entire system and its smooth functioning. No bios or damaged bios = No! system its as basic as that. You shouldnt mess with the bios settings unless you know clearly what effect making changes to the bios will have on the whole machine, my policy would be if in doubte leave well alone. (no disrespect too you!!). Its just very important to know what your doing with the bios and all its settings (its extremely easy to mess up your entire system very quickly otherwise). So if it aint broken dont try to fix it.

**OK CPU fan fail makes complete sense now, most recently made MB's come with safety features and CPU fan failure (i.e. hardware failure) is designed to protect your system from overheating hence the error message and Yes! windows will fail to install or will crash (blue screen so called NT blue screen of death or might dump out the contents of physical memory). Replace the CPU fan with a new one they dont cost much and a CPU fan is not something anyone is going to repair now a days.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi Ivan,
What they have on test is the motherboard and processor, what they said is that the bios has to be configurated for the processor and ram. The settings that the bios has at factory settings have to be changed, however they don't give any help on what has to be done and even the man at my computer shop didn't know.
I've obviously asked MD for the settings but I get no reply.
The Ram I bought is 512 DDR400 PC3200 I was told that I should run it at 400.
The fan was bought new but not from MD and the one I bought is AK827 for AMD XP3400+, I was told this was the right one to buy.

So to round it up, I bought a motheboard,processor,ram,fan. Trouble is the bios default settings ( so MD suggest ) need setting for the other components to run properly and the reason they didn't first time was because the shop I took them to to be fitted didn't set the bios correctly. However they are sending them back but without telling me the correct bios settings.
I would give it a go myself but would rather take it to a shop, however if I knew the settings then it seems it would be easy to do.
Another local computer shop Computer Direct, charge £34 just to fit the motherboard!!
I just wish MD would be more accomodating in their customer care.
I would like to warn other people about MD but I'm not sure the best place to post the various problems I have had with them.

Thanks again Ivan for your help, its very much appreciated.

Tynesider
N/A

More Woes

Hello Again tynesider,

MD sound like a right shower, (thats putting it politely, I would use full blown expleatives otherwise but it would be censored but I'm sure you get my drift!!) They are telling you complete rubbish most well known brands (such as ASUS) of motherboards should support a CPU, RAM and FAN without any special configuation (i.e. without the use of a special configurator etc) if you buy compatible components.

As I am sure will appreciate by now building a PC is all about matching components together, frankly at its simplest level a PC is nothing more than a jigsaw puzzle and so you have to get all the peices to match or make a good fit before you will get a whole picture or complete working PC system.

**The default or factory bios settings should be fine to get your system working as a whole, yes! the bios might need some tweaking and some settings might need changing this is true but NOT in the way MD have stated. Unless there is something going on which they are not telling you about, lets put it this way I wouldnt say they are lying as such but economical with the truth perhaps.

**DDR400 RAM yes! this sounds normal and fine.

**Seems to me MD dont want to give you the bios settings as they will loose money if they do and I suspect thats whats behined the silence. Owww!! we cannot tell you that sir you might learn something and then we'll be out of pocket if we do that. Or it will cost you £xxx quid if give you that information, there is something rather shadey about all this ( I smell a dead rodent some where in this story??).

**£34 just to fit a MB that takes less than 10mins now that seems expensive.

**The make or model of CPU fan isnt so important but that it works correctly obviously is of course, as I said before just ditch the old one and buy a new one. I really think its your best way to solve the bios fan/cpu error's.

This is a sad tale of woe and an expensive one too, I hope it comes right in the end. But let me know what happens and if I can assist any further.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
Well things have gone bad to worde with Micro Direct.
I didn't get the components on Wednesday and had to get back in touch with them again. They said they hadn't been posted yet!! Anyway I got them on Thursday morning but guess what ? There was no processor !! I got back in touch with them and they say it was in there when it was posted to me and because the packaging was not tampered with then.....
So it boils down to me being a liar and just saying it wasn't there, I feel gutted I now have no processor, cannot use my computer, have waited ages for MD to send it out , spent more than I wanted to, £15 on phone calls and now I'm a liar. I now have to go and buy a new processor..from a shop though definatley not online.
They said the only thing I can do is write to the manager.
Anyone reading this please don't go to www.microdirect.co.uk or .com
Anyone with problems getting though to MD I have direct telephone lines through to two managers and the Managing directors name and address, email me if you want them.

Thanks for your help
Tynesider
N/A

Replying

Hello again Tynesider,

MD cannot get away with treating you like that as a customer, as a business they have responsibilities to the client or customer and if MD has a bricks & mortar shop then I would immediately contact your local (nearest) trading standards office and explain the circumstances to them. Almost 100% certain MD do HAVE your CPU and if you have proof of purchase i.e. a receipt, cheque stubb or switch card transaction recept then you can draw on your consumer rights.

As far as my own understanding goes (I'm no legal expert but my friend TASK here of F9 forum is very up on these kind of legel things!) a company has a responsibility to either repair or replace defective goods where they fail to meet the said purpose of purchase.

Its pretty clear from what you've said above that MD are the one's lying to you, CPU's dont just vanish into thin air. They had the item last so its not rocket science to see they still have it. Unless the parcel was torn open and the processor was lost in transitt. Which I assume it wasnt? YOU was robbed govern!!.

DONT let MD treat you like this, you deserve better customer service than this. MD sound like a bunch of cowboys. Why should you be the one that has to go and purchase a new CPU? the only reason I would do this is if you feel that MD are now completely beyond the pale as a company and if you also feel that you can afford the financial loss. i.e. cut your losses and find a reputable company who behaves honestly when dealing with their customers.

**Companies like MD wont last long if they treat customers like this. Sorry! that you've had this horrible experience. I've learn my own lesson in a similar way many years ago.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
I've written to Micro Direct's Managing Director Mr. Iqbal to see if he can resolve the missing processor problem. I can't afford to let this drop so if he replies and says no can do, then i will be taking it further.

I don't know why they treat customers like this, surely word of mouth gets around and that will only lose them money and reputation. Thing is there are so many people unaware they are a bad company ( like myself ) that they will fall into the same old trap.

I'll keep you posted if I get a reply.

Cheers
Tynesider
N/A

More on MD

Hi Tynesider,

I'm pleased to hear that your NOT going to let MD off the hook & that your going to fight your corner on this one. Its seems quite clear that MD were hoping they could fobb you off with some weak nonsense & blag!!. I mean really did they seriously expect you to fall for that pack of lies about the processor. You must be joking!!

**Here's a very strange coincidence? I dont know what it is about the name IQBAL but it definately comes with very bad omens & associations for me too. My car was smashed into on the M62 outside Manchester last June bye a driver of a Saba soft-top who decided to try over take me on the left at about 80Mph. Fortunately my car just received only a dent in the left door but the other vehicle was a complete right off having spun around 360 degrees before slamming into the central crash barrier & before another vehicle hit them. Fortunately the police & ambulance arrived in a few minutes & the thing was seen on motorway cameras. Nobody was hurt just shaken up badly & abit of a fright nothing more.

But the Saba driver was Yes! you guessed no other than a Mr & Mrs. IQBAL & the b*****d's have at every turn tried to denie any responsiblity for causing the crash and I'm still waiting for the insurance company to settle the claim 7months on & I wont be at all suprised if I'm still waiting next june at this rate.

Sadly I'm sure NOT all people with the surname IQBAL are crooks, theives or robbers but I am getting increasingly paranoid that the reverse might actually be true?

**No disrespect meant to the IQBAL's who do have integrity & honesty though.

**YES!! Keep figting your case dont let MD get away with this, take it further if required.

Seasonal regards to you Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
Just to let you know that I eventually got £87.00 paid into my bank account from Micro Direct for payment of a processor they said thay sent but didn't.
It just goes to show that if your prepared to fight for your rights it sometimes pays off..

Thanks for supporting me on this issue

Tynesider
N/A

IQBAL & THE CPU??

Hello Tynesider,

HEY!! THATS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!! WELL DONE MY FRIEND!!!

IT'S GREAT TO HEAR YOU GOT YOUR MONEY BACK, BRILLIANT!!!!

I'm so glad I pushed you abit NOT too give in or give up on this, see sometimes it is worth the effort not to give in but to fight back. PS:- Your most welcome I am only too pleased to have supported you on this one, what a great outcome too.

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, BEST WISHES FOR 2005

Ivan :lol: