cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem drivers

Community Veteran

modem drivers

Hi

I've had a lot of trouble over the last couple of weeks with getting connected. Eventually, I phoned FOL this evening and it was suggested that I should download the latest drivers for my Dynamode PCI ADSL modem (the one supplied by FOL.)

There was no explanation about how this could be achieved without going on line, but that's a different argument. As it turns out, I may have sorted the problem out with a quick call to BT, asking them to tweak the gain on the line up a bit.

The wimpy question I want to ask is, what are the dangers of running the download with the new drivers on it? Is it likely to completely mess the system up?
2 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

modem drivers

Hi,

It depends on a couple of things. Firstly are drivers you are going to download the same version as the ones you've got installed. If they are and the problem's fixed then I just download them and save them somewhere in case you need them in the future.

If you've got an older version installed then most of the time you can just upgrade the drivers over the top of the ones you have and you won't see any problems, but again if the problem's fixed you might as well leave it as it is and just save the drivers somewhere so you can reinstall if you have a problem in the future.

That's generally what I do for new drivers, unless I'm having problems or the new drivers add new features (e.g. the new firmware for my router added line loss and SNR figures).
Community Veteran

Modem drivers

Thanks Smiley

It seems ok at the moment, so i won't try and fix it.

John