cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mixing ram?

Brickinit
Grafter

mixing ram?

can pc100 and pc133 be mixed on the same motherboard? i have 256 pc100 and was thinking of throwing in another strip of 256 in the spare slot.but pc133 is cheaper than pc100

malc
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: mixing ram?

> can pc100 and pc133 be mixed on the same motherboard? i have 256 pc100 and was thinking of throwing in another strip of 256 in the spare slot.but pc133 is cheaper than pc100
>
> malc

Hi Malc,

Assuming your motherboard supports pc133 memory, then I think the answer is yes.
As far as I know, the new memory will only run at pc100 speed though, as memory only runs as fast as the slowest "stick" inside a PC (or that's what I was told anyway).

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Dave W
N/A

Some boards work ok others dont like it its not the speed its the cas latency you have to watch(last number on the ram)

You may have to try them in difrent slots to get it to work or you may have to alter cas latency in the bios.
Most boards will work one way or another but will run ram slower which is offset by the extra ram

> can pc100 and pc133 be mixed on the same motherboard? i have 256 pc100 and was thinking of throwing in another strip of 256 in the spare slot.but pc133 is cheaper than pc100
>
> malc

Brickinit
Grafter

thanks for the advice it's a board that will take ddr as well as sdram but has only 2 memory slots so it will be 50/50

malc

> Some boards work ok others dont like it its not the speed its the cas latency you have to watch(last number on the ram)
>
> You may have to try them in difrent slots to get it to work or you may have to alter cas latency in the bios.
> Most boards will work one way or another but will run ram slower which is offset by the extra ram
>
>
N/A

> thanks for the advice it's a board that will take ddr as well as sdram but has only 2 memory slots so it will be 50/50

DDR and SDRAM can't be mixed, it's either or I'm afraid. What the tech sup guy said it basically true, most mainboards will support PC133 memory, even if it means dropping it to PC100
Brickinit
Grafter

> DDR and SDRAM can't be mixed, it's either or I'm afraid. What the tech sup guy said it basically true, most mainboards will support PC133 memory, even if it means dropping it to PC100

thanks
i bought 256 pc133 for someone else and i think they have put it with a stick of 128 pc100. i think i shall buy a stick of 256 pc133 and swop my original 256 pc100 for there 256pc133 there-by they will have 384 pc100 and i will end up with 512 pc133
thanks for all your help

malc
N/A

There are three options; it won’t work at all, it will work but slower than possible because the slower memory will hold back the performance of the faster part, and a minute improvement on very memory hungry application. With the low prices of memory these days it really is not worth the effort of experimenting as the overall performance will go down by adding slow memory.

Ben
--