cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory blockage

N/A

memory blockage

when I use the system monitor to check my available memory, I can see it go down further and further until my harddisk gets noisy and the swapfile is being used with the considerable loss of speed caused by swapfile use. I have 128 Mb on a 550 Mc machine and use 98 second edition. On start up there is about 80 Mb free so that in itself should be ample. I have use several memory unblockers that indicate memory has been freed up but the resource meters don’t indicate the same and the slow down continues.
Who has got the anser?
Ben

--
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: memory blockage

the basic problem is 98 isnt very good with memory in fact it can be worse with more memory. Remember in 98 32 meg of ram was out of this world so MS cached the top of the memory which worked great in 98.

NOw its caching nothing most of the time as its using the top of the 128 which is empty thus slowing things down.

I use winramturbo which works well as you can set the point it kick in.
The resources isnt the same as memory so freing memory doesnt mean its freeing resources. If word is loaded but idle the memory unblockers can swap it to the hd which frees ram but the dll ares till loaded.

You could write books o improving things. First set you pc to a file server in the control panel. reduce colors as much as you can reduce screen res turn off sounds dont use wallpaper get rid of any progs you dont use specialy any in the sys tray.

All these things slow the pc down disble anything you dont us in the bios like network cards extra serial ports.

The best advice is consider a upgrade to win2k or nt as these manage memory better.

> when I use the system monitor to check my available memory, I can see it go down further and further until my harddisk gets noisy and the swapfile is being used with the considerable loss of speed caused by swapfile use. I have 128 Mb on a 550 Mc machine and use 98 second edition. On start up there is about 80 Mb free so that in itself should be ample. I have use several memory unblockers that indicate memory has been freed up but the resource meters don’t indicate the same and the slow down continues.
> Who has got the anser?
> Ben
>
>
> --
>