cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mad explorer help

dixiemay

mad explorer help

Can anyone help please .I installed advance browser inmycomputer windows xp home service pack 2. But as it did nit seem to work I uninstalled it . now when I click my favourites or adsl in explorer I get Print! and not explorer How can I correct the problem ? as I have to paste all links to explorer bar to work Sad
Chantale
8 REPLIES
N/A

mad explorer help

Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore and restore your computer to an earlier time before the offending browser was installed.
dixiemay

mad explorer help

Thank you why didn't I think of that .doh.... Shockedops:
N/A

ASR Set within XP

Hello,

If you are using Windows XP Pro (dont know if this is also true of XP home) there is also a very good tool. Start Button, start menu, programs,accessories, system tools, backup. (this is based on the well known and respected Seagate backup exec).

NOTE: within the backup tool there is ASR (automatic system restore ) you have to make a ASR set which includes making a 3.5 floppy to go with this. I have used this is anger several times and it is extremely good and very reliable in just such cases. ASR has rescued me several times & I highly recommend this too you.

**Also to restore the ASR set is very easy and quick to use. The results are good.

**NOTE: NOT to be confused with the system restore which is different.

Ivan
dixiemay

mad explorer help

oh thank you will do it sounds good. I have had no joy anyhow with retore system I probably have to do it in safe mode.
It will not accept it otherwise.
but will do what you suggest.
Regards chantale :roll: [/code]
N/A

Making ASR sets in XP

Hi chantale,

Yes! Windows XP can be abit confusing when it comes to things like this, my understanding is the XP has a system restore feature built into the actual operating system (i.e. its part of windows itself) but I've never touched this so wouldnt trust it. I only tend to recommend tools I've worked with myself and which I know are good,safe and work reliably.

**The automatic system restore featured in XP backup tools is a completely different ball game to the restore service built into windows itself.

**Have a look at the backup tool, it comes with a nice user friendly wizard which will guide you through the process of making an ASR set including the floppy,etc. I would suggest that if you have a second disk drive or even better an external hard disk drive that is removable that you put your ASR set on this.

The ASR set can be as big as 2GB or more so bear in mind its definately NOT going to fit onto a normal CD recordable disk (burnable CD) but might fit onto a burnable DVD as the capacity of these disks is much larger. Ideally make the ASR onto an external hard drive if you have one or keep it on another computer entirely or if you did have enough web space capacity it could at a stretch be uploaded onto an internet server (but this is a pretty unlikley unless your lucky enough to have that amount of webserver space).

Ivan
N/A

mad explorer help

The other thing for future reference, is to create a restore point prior to installing any software,

as to your problem, have you run system filechecker, start/run sfc /scannow, notice the space between sfc and / , have your windows install cd ready to insert when requested.
dixiemay

mad explorer help

Thank you both very much.
I have had to do a restore which worked in safe mode for the moment will have to invest into another exterior drive .have one on old computer but it was used with windows 98 and was a zip drive which if I remeber right would not be big enough ofr the restore process that you suggested cyteck.
that restore system sounds really good though also it is a parralel drive. I have so many different programs on thias computer that I think that sometimes the drivers go slightly confused. But both your hwlp was really appreciated.
thanks again
Chantale Cheesy
N/A

More ASR

Hello Again chantale

I use an external hard disk drive which is connected via a standard USB 2.0 port (most recent machines come with USB now a days). The nice thing about USB connected drives is that they are extremely quick to connect or disconnect as required, windows tends just auto detect them when first plugged in and USB connections are very fast so its as good as using an internally fitted hard disk drive.

If you can spare the funds I highly highly recommend an external hard disk drive too you for backup's and saving software you've downloaded etc. Its perfect for large windows backup's, ASR sets etc.

Have a look for either Freecom or Le Cie they both do quite reasonably priced external USB hard disk drives, I think they start at 60GB & upwards. Or another option that might be slightly cheaper is to buy another standard IDE or SATA hard disk and buy an external enclosure kit & USB cable & connector but you would only shave about £20 to £25 off the price of a commercial product. I'd go for the Freecom product its very good if your wallet can go the distance.

**I too have a large amount of installed software on my workstation server and if it crashed badly and I had to re-install from scratch it would be over a full days work to rebuild this. On the rare on exceptional occation I had to use my ASR set I had the machine back up and running in an almost perfect state within 20mins (no! I didnt have to re-install any software at all, I had to just adjust some settings in one or two programs) This to me is the REAL value of an external USB hard drive and good ASR backup's. So too me the cost of an external drive is worth every pound spent.

**ASR restore doesnt have to be done in safe mode, just logged in as a normal user once you have reinstalled windows again (without any app's loaded). Perhaps the only excpetion to this might be if user permissions were set to prevent an ordinary user from performing a restore. So then you might have to login as an admins or power user to run the ASR restore process.

Ivan