cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost xp product key

N/A

lost xp product key

hi just bought xp home for pc but think ive lost cd key any one no how i can find it again

its the proper cd i wounder iff microsoft will charge me any idea?
--
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: lost xp product key

> hi just bought xp home for pc but think ive lost cd key any one no how i can find it again
>
> its the proper cd i wounder iff microsoft will charge me any idea?
>
> --
>

If you had the cd in the retail box then the number is on it.
N/A

It would seem from the way that you are asking that you obtained you copy from a dubious source, because you would have the product key included on the CD package if you bought it from a genuine retailer. Even if you manage to get the correct code I feel sure that you will find that the copy of XP has already been activated and therefor of no use to you unless you can convince microsoft other wise.
N/A

If its a genuine copy, simply call Microsoft and explain to them - they can usually find out your key if YOU activated yourself.

this site:

http://communities.microsoft.com/Newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=windowsxp&sLCID=US&newsgroup=microsoft.p...

is a good place to ask more experience persons about thinks such as this.

Daniel
--
Planet Krypton
www.planet-krypton.co.uk
N/A

The activation key and product key are different. One is the unique serial number shipped with the machine or retail box, the other is the code given by microsoft to confirm the installation validation process.

The product ID can be obtain from one of three places.

1: If this is a machine purchased with XP installed, then you will find a sticker on the top, side or real of the machine with the details on it.

2: If it is a Retail purchase, then it is in the box.

3: If it is a OEM purchase (provided with active hardware (Harddrive, ram, motherboard, monitor, CPU)), then a sticker would have been included, which is meant to be attached to the side, top or rear of the machine (IE, it is number 1, but shipped seperatly).

If it is the activation key you are after, then there are several method to use.

1: So long as it is the same hardware, you should be able to activate via the internet. If this fails, you either have a pirate copy, or have installed too many times.

2: Phone MS. Explain howmany times you have reinstalled, any major hardware changes and that you have lost the original key. They may or may not give you a new key. I am not sure, but there may be a verification system, where you can send a copy of the receipt to confirm ownership.

If it is an illegal copy (though I aint sugesting it is), the question "What do you expect?" comes to mind.
N/A

> The activation key and product key are different. One is the unique serial number shipped with the machine or retail box, the other is the code given by microsoft to confirm the installation validation process.
>
> The product ID can be obtain from one of three places.
>
> 1: If this is a machine purchased with XP installed, then you will find a sticker on the top, side or real of the machine with the details on it.
>
> 2: If it is a Retail purchase, then it is in the box.
>
> 3: If it is a OEM purchase (provided with active hardware (Harddrive, ram, motherboard, monitor, CPU)), then a sticker would have been included, which is meant to be attached to the side, top or rear of the machine (IE, it is number 1, but shipped seperatly).
>
> If it is the activation key you are after, then there are several method to use.
>
> 1: So long as it is the same hardware, you should be able to activate via the internet. If this fails, you either have a pirate copy, or have installed too many times.
>
> 2: Phone MS. Explain howmany times you have reinstalled, any major hardware changes and that you have lost the original key. They may or may not give you a new key. I am not sure, but there may be a verification system, where you can send a copy of the receipt to confirm ownership.
>
> If it is an illegal copy (though I aint sugesting it is), the question "What do you expect?" comes to mind.

As he claims to have just recently bought the CD it is unlikely that there has been any reinstallments or major hardware changes.
The plot thickens!