Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for a silent PC

Patch
Grafter

looking for a silent PC

Hi,

I'm looking for a silent pc to run in a recording studio. While I understand there is the need to keep the computers cool I wondered if anyone knew of any that were particularly quiet.

I remember that the Apple Mac cube's are fanless as the design gets a natural flow of air by convection, unfortunately the software we require is not available on a mac... so I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

Patch
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: looking for a silent PC

Have a look at laptops, they tend to be quieter. I've dampened desktop/tower PCs using carpet underlay glued to the inside of the case - a cheap stand-in for purpose-designed acoustic material (such as Akasa Pax-mate - see www.maplin.co.uk).
Does the system unit physically have to be in the studio? Could you run it remotely and just have kbd, mouse & display in the sound-sensitive area?
--
Nick

old enough to know better - young enough to not care

(just get out & ride!)
N/A

Have a look at laptops, they tend to be quieter. I've dampened desktop/tower PCs using carpet underlay glued to the inside of the case - a cheap stand-in for purpose-designed acoustic material (such as Akasa Pax-mate - see www.maplin.co.uk).
Does the system unit physically have to be in the studio? Could you run it remotely and just have kbd, mouse & display in the sound-sensitive area?
--
Nick

old enough to know better - young enough to not care

(just get out & ride!)
Patch
Grafter

Hi,

Unfortunately I've not had a lot of luck with the soundcards in Laptops in the past, and although there are some USB cards etc about, I've heard mixed reports about their reliability.

Also due to the design of our studio building, putting the pc outside the control room is not really an option. I've had a few tips from another forum including quiet power supplies (from enermax), and hard drives (western digital special edition drives (caviar jb's)) and cpu fans (COOLERMASTER SILENT COPPER HEATPIPE), so it looks like we may be going down the custom built pc route!

Thanks for the ideas though

Patrick

> Have a look at laptops, they tend to be quieter. I've dampened desktop/tower PCs using carpet underlay glued to the inside of the case - a cheap stand-in for purpose-designed acoustic material (such as Akasa Pax-mate - see www.maplin.co.uk).
> Does the system unit physically have to be in the studio? Could you run it remotely and just have kbd, mouse & display in the sound-sensitive area?
>
> --
> Nick
>
> old enough to know better - young enough to not care
>
> (just get out & ride!)

N/A

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately I've not had a lot of luck with the soundcards in Laptops in the past, and although there are some USB cards etc about, I've heard mixed reports about their reliability.
>
> Also due to the design of our studio building, putting the pc outside the control room is not really an option. I've had a few tips from another forum including quiet power supplies (from enermax), and hard drives (western digital special edition drives (caviar jb's)) and cpu fans (COOLERMASTER SILENT COPPER HEATPIPE), so it looks like we may be going down the custom built pc route!
>
> Thanks for the ideas though
>
> Patrick
>
>
> > Have a look at laptops, they tend to be quieter. I've dampened desktop/tower PCs using carpet underlay glued to the inside of the case - a cheap stand-in for purpose-designed acoustic material (such as Akasa Pax-mate - see www.maplin.co.uk).
> > Does the system unit physically have to be in the studio? Could you run it remotely and just have kbd, mouse & display in the sound-sensitive area?
> >
> > --
> > Nick
> >
> > old enough to know better - young enough to not care
> >
> > (just get out & ride!)
>
>ive been involved with home recording for ages now. you can buy quiet cpu cooler fans and quiet power supplys from most net pc suppliers. they are the only noisy components these days as new hard drives are almost silent.