cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

htdocs not returning a file list and timing out.

Marteknet
Grafter

Can anyone here advise me on this matter . when I connect to homepages to FTP files to my webspace I can not get a listing of htdocs, the logs directory lists as normal but htdocs is just not working. if I CD to a sub-dir of htdocs things are just fine. I raised a ticket with force9 over 22 hours ago about this matter and I am still awaiting a reply.

thanks in advance Peter.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Just some thoughts?

Hi,
The only things that spring to mind immediately on reading your post is 1) have you checked your FTP client software i.e. is it set for ASCII or Binary mode transfers?

2) Do you have a firewall in place and working, my experience is that even if you have given your firewall the correct permissions for FTP upload & download the connections to the F9 FTP server can struggle and occationally I have found them to time out & so it looks like you have a connection but in reality you dont (it looks like you can see a folder listing when one doesnt exsist but admittedly this is rare).

3) This listing issue could possibly be a permissions problem, have you modified or altered or attempted to change the permissions for any reason?

Other than this I cannot see what the cause might be, I'd be most interested to hear what comments technical support come back to you with.

Best Regards Ivan
Marteknet
Grafter

Thanks for your advice Ivan.

This has done the trick, what fixed it in the end was to delete my firewall prefs and set up a new lot. it now seems to work ok.
Maybe something changed on the server and the firewall settings were no longer correct. but it seems to be working ok now.

It's a bit strange as earlier I had tried without the firewall running and even turned off the anti-virus software to make sure this was not causing the problem and it still didn't work.

Many thanks regards Peter.
Marteknet
Grafter

Still having problems with FTP.

Still having problems with FTP.

I thought that this problem was resolved but sadly its back with a vengeance I can get listings from any sub-directory of htdocs anything in the logs directory lists ok. I have tried with and without afirewall, three different ftp clients again with and without firewall, direct from DOS. Very occasionally any of these options work, but 95% of the time the server drops connection midway while retrieving the htdocs files listing. The ftp programs then timeout. I have sent more then 20 log files and at least 4 screendumps to F9 support and all I get back from then is "it works for us" not much help really.

Can anyone advise me on this before I take a sledgehammer to my computer rip out the phone line and become a hermit.
Marteknet
Grafter

It's been fixed

This is no longer a problem seems to have been resolved, hopefully for good.

Many Thanks to those who emailed me with advice.

Peter.