Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.htaccess login without the popup box

N/A

Hi,
In the past I have used javascript to create a target URL which comprises of

http://username:password@www.domain.co.uk/protecteddir/

This is supposed to make it so the password box does not appear, and just use the username and password displayed in the URL (security is not that much of an issue).

This has worked in the past but I cant seem to get it working now, I just get a 'page cannot be displayed, may have been moved or no longer exist' message without an error code. The username and password is definately correct as the page required is loaded when i enter the username and password into the popup password box if I dont put the username and password in the URL.

I hope I have made sense here, and hope that someone will know if its something that force9 does/doesn't support, or have a more elegant solution to log into .htaccess protected directories.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Dan Jarvis
4 REPLIES
N/A

think i have found it

$_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_USER']
$_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_PW']

need to set those two variables in php and i think it will do what i want it to do....

comments still welcome....
N/A

this is getting sad talking to myself.... but for the benefit of readers....

the above doesnt work, and I have ended up using a php feeder which can validate that users are logged in and have blocked the protected directories off from direct browser access.
N/A

A recent Microsoft security patch to IE6 removed the facility of specifying username and password in the URL. I guess you've already got there -- or just got fed up of writing to yourself!
N/A

ok, thanks for the info

Jarv