cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how good is the virus software?

Community Veteran

I ask the question, because I've only been signed up to the service for about a month, and yes there have been a couple of notifications, however a virus got through today (I-Worm/Mytob.FR) fortunately my own virus checker got it (AVG free edition) and ironically the certification at the bottom of the email said, "This email has been verified as Virus free. Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net" Tongue

I also suspect that a couple of trojans have slipped through from web sites visted by my son. (does the FOL checker only check emails?)

John
6 REPLIES
slev
Grafter

Hi John

Yes the Plusnet Virus Scanner only checks e-mails,

Not sure how often they update the virus definitions but it should be done at least once a week to catch any new virus that come out.

Regards

Ian
N/A

I've had the PlusNet virus checker for nearly a year now and have to say that I'm pretty impressed. I've still got a subscription to Norton (which has sprung to life 5 times over the year), so I will still need keep a local Anti Virus on my machine - but doubt that I'll bother paying for another year with Norton.

How do you find AVG? I understand that the updates are as fast as Norton - is it as good at picking out trojans?

Also I think that the PlusNet scanner (Sophos?) is updated at least daily.

Anyone noticed how the spam filter has improved lately?

Rod
Community Veteran

AVG is free for personal use and can be found here:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Follow the link at the bottom of the page. No software is perfect from what I can see, but I've found the AVG product to be easy and reliable. Updates are regular, and I haven't noticed any conficts with hardware or software.

Other people may have had other experiences of course, but I can only speak as I find.

I'll certainly be keeping my own virus scanner up to date, 5 slips in a year is 5 too many, but like I say nothing's perfect.

As a belt and braces, I also occassionally run the trend housecall, online scanner (but perhaps I'm just paranoid!)

John
Community Veteran

I should also say that, as well as having the residential shield on, I also run a scan regularly. I've found that some of the java based viruses such as byteverify seem to sneak in somehow.

John
N/A

Thanks John

I think I'll give it a whirl when my Norton subscription runs out at the end of the month.

Rod
dbarrett
Grafter

I've been using the FOL anti virus service and AVG for some time now (over a year i think) with no problems encountered to date.