cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home peer to peer wirless network with ics

N/A

I am thinking of setting one of these up.
I have a PC (old thing) running Xp/home with a PCI broadband modem.
If i buy a laptop ( which is very likely cos i am travelling a lot ) am i right in assuming all i need to buy is

2 ethernet wirless cards either usb for pc or pcmcia for laptop ?
seems this would be about £80-100

then configure for ICS ( leaving pc on all the time)

Any help/advice appreciated.
Cool
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You would proably best getting a PCI ethernet or wireless card in the PC, forget about getting USB. PCI will be easy easy to setup as your ADSL modem was (if not easier).

A PCMCIA normal ethernet or wireless card is needed for the laptop.

Since you are only connecting 2 machines you won't need a hub or anything, but you will probably need to use a crossover cable.

You will also need a wireless access point if you are going down the wireless route (equivilent of a hub in a normal ethernet network).

Chris
N/A

Thanks for the reply Chris,

I do want to go the wirless route, and my question was specifically whether I can achieve this WITHOUT a WAP, I thought a peer to peer network could be created with ethernet cards alone ( whether wireless or not )

Any help would be appreciated.
Community Veteran

To my knowledge not with a wireless network no.

Ian Wild (PlusNet staff is pretty knowledable about stuff like this). He should be back next week and he will probably be able to give a definate answer (unless another customer can't before then).

Chris
N/A

Yes you can, I have set up a wireless network using windows XP and two netgear 11b usb adaptors which works fine. According to the paperwork suppied, you can set up to 3 machines without a WAP. It is easier in XP than win 98 to set the system up but it can be done.

Gary J
N/A

I'm currently running ad-hoc (no access point) Wireless LAN at home.
I've got a machine running Win2003 server with ICS setup.
Workstations use Win2K Pro, Win98 SE and WinXP Pro.
I've got D-Link cards and had problems getting them all to talk to each other at first.
Once set up it is clean and easy. Be wary of distance between devices and walls will have a dramatic effect.
I've had to re-site my server as it was too intermittent out in the garage.