cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home networking setup problem

N/A

I have recently upgraded to broadband and am trying to set up a home network with another computer in another room. I have Windows XP on the main computer and have successfully (?) managed to run the network set up wizard on it. I have inserted my Windows XP CD in the other computer which runs on Windows 98 and is connected to the main computer via a cable, and has a network adapter installed. When this computer reboots a message appears which says No domain server was available to validate your password and some network services may not be available. I am unable to connect t Internet at all on the networked computer although have no problems with the main computer- can anybody helpHuhHuhHuh?
2 REPLIES
N/A

Now I qam not 100% sure about this but I dont think you need the XP disk to network the 98 machine. (Well I didn't anyway) Just ensure that both machines have the same workgroup name, and then share folders/printers etc. You have given them both their own IP addressHuh Also, in explorer, you will need to go into tools/internet options/connection and in the LAN part tell it you are connecting via LAN. I cannot remember if it is in Networking (TCP/IP) or in explorer LAN settings but you will also need to give it a gateway (The IP of the machine with the ADSL connected to it) and DNS servers

But then I may also be completely wrong! Someone here will tell us I am sure
N/A

the basic setup needed is
to set the XP machine up with Internet sharing
Right Click on internet connection and click on last tab "Sharing"
then enable internet connection sharing.
This will make it address 192.168.0.1 and allow other machines to set their addresses automatically.
On the Win98 machine set the network to get it's ip address automatically
Right click on networl connection and select properties
Get TCP/IP properties and get TCP/IP tab to obtain it's addresses automaticllay.
( you can set it to 192.168.0.2 with gateway at 192.168.0.1
It's the gateway that tells the second computer where to send packets for the internet .

Hope you are running a firewall ?

David