cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

front page 2000

photoynnad
Dabbler

front page 2000

I am trying to build my web site in FP 2000. When I try to publish web I simply get a page of Icons along side which is a description of my photograph or page. How can iIconvert these to images.Where am I going Wrong. Any assistance appreciated.
13 REPLIES
N/A

front page 2000

This may sound like a stupid question, but do you have an index.htm/ html page? If not your webspace will just list a directory of your files. If you want visitors to arrive at a page, rename it index.

Regards

Mark
N/A

front page 2000

Question is
Where am I going Wrong

Answer is
I am trying to build my web site in FP 2000

FP2K is horrible to use. Intuitive enough to know what you want to do and bloody minded enough to prevent you from doing it. Unless there are specific things that FP2K can do that you really need, then dump it and use something better.

You'll maybe need to learn a bit more about HTML but that's not too hard if you apply yourself. I use dreamweaver at home and am forced to use FP2K at work. I know which I prefer.

Dremweaver is expensive but worth it and there are probably loads of freeware/shareware tools you could try too.

Andy.
N/A

I totally agree FP is a pain!!

Hi,

Yes! I would tell you to steer well away from Microsofts Front page program for website or web page creation. Yes! it looks great when you first see it, Yes! its very intuitive I do agree but where it fails and falls down horrificaly is that FP inserts Microsoft specific own coding into the HTML of your page no matter how careful one is. To make matters much worse you cannot see this code unless you know how to look & then where to look.

To upshot of all of this is that any page created in FP will work fine in Microsoft own browsers but it wont display as you require in any other browser. I know I can tell you from bitter experience too. Also FP & microsoft use different versions of Jave script from other browsers and once again this messes things up terribly. It took me ages to to get too the bottom of all this and it was a huge hassle. It took a professional designer & HTML , Java script programmer to sort my Front Page problems out in the end.

Please Please I hope you wont end up having the experience I had with Front Page stay well away from the blinking thing. If you want to create good webpages write them yourself & learn basic HTML, once you have a good grasp of HTML basics then yes! go for something like dreamweaver as others have also mentioned.

Best Regards Ivan
photoynnad
Dabbler

front page 2000

Thank you chaps. I do believe that is the end of Font page.
N/A

front page 2000

I do believe that is the end of Font page.

If only it was that easy!
N/A

Yes! its is that easy!!

Hi,

No! it is that easy!! "NOBODY" is forcing you to use front page, its just another case of Microsoft trying to tie users into there products. Which is what they always try and do. OK so this user might have to go away and learn HTML from the ground up but I would suggest that in the long run this pays big benefits. The person will then have the required skill to create the kind of web pages they want, with the features they wont (Not the features Microsoft forces on us or that Microsoft wants to dominate in the web sphere).

Ivan
N/A

Front Page 2000 / XP

As a matter of interest, which version(s) of HTML does Front Page 2000 or XP support? Can it produce XHTML, which the World Wide Web Consortium is now encouraging everyone to write?
N/A

front page 2000

As a matter of interest, which version(s) of HTML does Front Page 2000 or XP support? Can it produce XHTML, which the World Wide Web Consortium is now encouraging everyone to write?

Dunno!

Not going to look closely enough. Whatever it does "support" it will more than likely fcuk it up in some subtle way.
N/A

FrontPage Support

Whatever it does "support" it will more than likely fcuk it up in some subtle way.

:lol: Very good!

In which case it can't be said to support it (as you seem to realise by putting the word in quotes).

Perhaps you should put in a suggestion asking for FrontPage server extensions (or whatever they're called) to be removed :!: I have to confess I was rather surprised when Force9 announced they were being installed as I had been under the impression they were quite reluctant to do so. Perhaps in the end they just had to succumb to the demand.
N/A

Frontpage 2000 problems

Whats your web URL ?

If some one has a look at it they might see what the problem is.

I found Frontpage fine for quickly knocking up pages with lots of graphics, but agree it can do some irritating things. I normally use 1stpage2000 which is a free editor but my web site is fairly simple.

Steve.
N/A

front page 2000

There is no index file on the server, it is not going to work without one. What you currently see is the default setting. As I said in my post earlier this week, make an index.htm or html page and upload it to homepages.force9.net. If you have as problem afterwards we may be able to help.

Mark
photoynnad
Dabbler

front page 2000

Thank you all.As I had done so much work with fp I perservered and at the moment my results are visible on

http://fp.dannybrannigan.f9.co.uk.

I have since bought a book on html.
N/A

front page 2000

Thank you all.As I had done so much work with fp I perservered and at the moment my results are visible on

http://fp.dannybrannigan.f9.co.uk.

I have since bought a book on html.

This may seem a silly question as well, but why have you published on the FrontPage server? I have had a look at the site and can see no FP extensions in use, therefore you could have placed it on the homepages server and used the www instead of fp address. If you are going to use extensions in the future, why not re-direct from the www address through a frame? Personally, although I use FP, I would try to set up your cgi space and get a few simple scripts running rather than use the extensions. Having tried both in the past for counter, mail, etc, the scripts are a much better option and more customisable.

Cheers

Mark