cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

format harddrive windows 2000

Brickinit
Grafter

format harddrive windows 2000

i brought a new computer yesterday at a fair. it has come pre loaded with win 2000, setup in NTFS. i am using win ME and would like this new machine to be the same. has any one got any tips on how to get to DOS so i can re-format c drive and install ME.

malc
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: format harddrive windows 2000

Why on Earth do you want to dump win2k in favour of MEHuh 2k in MUCH better and NTFS is so stable you'll be glad you kept it!!! Believe me... you'll be sorry!!!
N/A

2000 is pants for game playing. Xp is the best operating system so far.

Can you not boot up using a me bootable floppy and erase the partition using fdisk and re create it. Probably say something like partition un recognised , still can delete i think.
chino
Grafter

> 2000 is pants for game playing. Xp is the best operating system so far.
>
> Can you not boot up using a me bootable floppy and erase the partition using fdisk and re create it. Probably say something like partition un recognised , still can delete i think.

Well all i can say is XP is good but 2k is the most stable .....

cUnDaLl
--
1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
N/A

> Well all i can say is XP is good but 2k is the most stable .....

While we are talking about Win 2K;I am considering changing from Win98SE to Win 2000,is it possable to use the Win98 startup disc that I made to re-format the HD,and install 2000 straight from the cd-rom onto a clean disc? or do I need to leave Win98 there and install over it? Also are there any hidden pitfalls I need to be aware of using this method?

Thanks Ian.
Brickinit
Grafter

freddie
the first thing i tried was to put in an ME startup floppy and rebooted but it said it didn't reconize the floppy,so no joy there. if i could get to a dos prompt things could be swinging. the main reason i would like this computer on the same ME as myself is that it,s a christmas gift for some less experianced than me (is that possible?).i'm expecting to be giving telephone help and it would be easier i we can talk the same language
malc

2000 is pants for game playing. Xp is the best operating system so far.
>
> Can you not boot up using a me bootable floppy and erase the partition using fdisk and re create it. Probably say something like partition un recognised , still can delete i think.

chino
Grafter

Ian ..

Well with windows 2k all you have to do in either set the bios up to boot from CDrom (then in the install you can formatt the HD).

Or you can with windows 98 you can just put the CD in and choose install (fresh install) and it will formatt the drive for you.

hope this helps..

cUnDaLl
--
1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
N/A

Although I agree that you should try running XP or 2000, you can get ME on this machine.

if the system partion is indeed NTFS you'll need some way of booting this partion to DOS with NTFS support, I dont think an ME disk can do this.

You'll need a bootup disk, that has CD rom drivers on it, that can recognise the NTFS partion, (you'll probably need an NT4, 2000 or XP boot disk) use Fdisk to remove the partion and start again.

alternatively if you still have the 2000 media and the machine supports booting from CD Rom you could boot using that and partion the disk from there using FAT, reboot then start the ME installation.

there are so many ways you can do it, just depends on what media you have available.
Brickinit
Grafter

Gareth
i have avaliable a full version of win 95,98 and an upgrade ME, it is using NFTS,what would be my best option?
malc

Although I agree that you should try running XP or 2000, you can get ME on this machine.
>
> if the system partion is indeed NTFS you'll need some way of booting this partion to DOS with NTFS support, I dont think an ME disk can do this.
>
> You'll need a bootup disk, that has CD rom drivers on it, that can recognise the NTFS partion, (you'll probably need an NT4, 2000 or XP boot disk) use Fdisk to remove the partion and start again.
>
> alternatively if you still have the 2000 media and the machine supports booting from CD Rom you could boot using that and partion the disk from there using FAT, reboot then start the ME installation.
>
> there are so many ways you can do it, just depends on what media you have available.

N/A

Doggo

If you having trobs still email me then i help you over phone.

karlhedges@hotmail.com
N/A

Freddie > win2k is NOT pants for game playing what so ever
N/A

I heard win200 does not support directx. if this is the case then its pants

N/A

it definently does 100% sure does without a doubt for sure does support direct x

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.asp

N/A

1. Change BIOS boot sequence settings to cd-hdd0.
2. Insert Win2k cd, reboot (check that the disk does boot).
3. If cd boots, exit to command prompt
4. Type FDISK - & delete partitions
5. Reboot, boot from Win 2K cd, then let setup do the rest. It will format the driver for you.

Sorry, but if a windows installation needs cd drivers, then the cd is VERY old and should be scrapped anyway.

Forget about boot disks & hdd setup disks & cd driver disks - Win2K takes care of it all/ & so does XP for that matter
Brickinit
Grafter

thanks for all the advise been very useful but, my problems of win 2000 have been taken over by the fact that the motherboard has crashed. was very clichy,locking up, having to reset all the time,and now will not get past "cmos.checksum error-defaults loaded" vendor admits prob with batch of motherboards. exchange machines sunday with fingers crossed! ho hum! :angryfire: