cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fair usage?

N/A

fair usage?

regardless how is explained,for the mentioned 1% it adversly affects the fair usage policy is not a very nice thing.sure it is,technicaly, part of the original contract,but it is not a part that is made obvious when sign up.Personaly i studied the contract quite closely when i signed up,and at no point was it exactly obvious that my downloads would at f9's will be charged for at a different rate from the speed i was paying for,let alone that i would be forced to have my contract changed mid year to enforce something like the 'fair usage' that is coming into effect soon. (granted there are parts warning that f9 reserve the right to change alter or basicaly do whatever they like with the contract(in more technical terms than that obviously,) but its not something they make out is likely.
a quick google search found me 3 isp's besides telewest that offer 2-4mb connections with a catagoricaly stated "no download limit restriction" in thier contracts,and also were substantialy cheaper than f9 for the speed,so must admit i am abit unhappy that f9 are taking fair usage to such a level as are intending.(And even more unhappy that i am likely to have to pay 90 odd pounds to change to one of those cheaper services due to a policy change that was not in effect when i signed the annual contract with f9.)
i dont expect a great deal of agreement with me on this since obviously "1%'" who may agree are going to be drowned by the 99% that it (supposedly) does not affect,,but doesnt anyone else feel victimised by this preposed usage/charges change? (Personaly i have even MORE reason than most i expect,as am 99% certain that the 8mb connection is not available my area as BT had alot of trouble even upping me to 1mb let alone 2 or more due to my remote location..as i am sure alot of other members will find too when they try to get a faster service through their lines)
3 REPLIES
N/A

fair usage?

To clarify Plusnet's stance on this issue see

http://www.plus.net/support//faq/broadband_fair_usage_faq.shtml#16

"One of the options, should the fair usage threshold be exceeded for a third time, is for customers to find a new provider that better suited their requirements. Should this be the case, customers will not be held to their contract period, however all outstanding payments (such as deferred activation, migration, hardware and domain costs) would be required to be paid."

Chris
N/A

no fair usage policy

by throttling certain websites, f9 apply an unfair usage policy. i am a lite user (>2 G) per month but, i use newsgroups. iam treated like someone using 30G as newsgroups and peer 2 peer are throttled. my 1 meg connection downloads at 30kps from newsgroups and 110 from elsewhere. f9 tell me to do speed tests, refer me to bt, send 2 page technical emails outlining potential faults. what they should do is admit that my downloads are being throttled but, they don't.
i have now signed up with another isp and am awaiting a transfer. there is no other way to deal with this. i don't disagree with FUP as some heavy users are taking far too much bandwidth but, the way it applies is unfair. if they targetted the heavy users i would stay but, throttling is not the way forward and so i am off.
N/A

It gets worse

Cry you might as well use a modem

Broadband Premier up to 2Mb

New product name: Broadband Premier Option 1
New speed: up to 8Mb

Peak-time usage within a billing month.

Up to 10GB
Speed of P2P, Usenet, file transfer applications
Up to line speed*

Speed of other Internet activites
Up to line speed*