cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay - paypal fraud / theft

N/A

Has anyone any experience on dealing with this type of fraud. I have paypal checking out my claim that I have been sold an item that the seller (it turns out )didn't have. He asked me to pay for it through his business partners paypal account which I did and this turns out to invalidate any claim I could have against paypal. He states the goods were sent two weeks ago but does not come up with any evidence that it was sent. My credit card does not cover a third party transaction and how on earth do you get anyone in ebay to communicate.
Can I take this to the police or would they not be interested. can i take legal action via small claims court.

Any help appreciated.
5 REPLIES
chrisco
Grafter

Can't quite understand this, is the seller saying you haven't paid for the item? If he hasn't delivered goods that have been paid for - irrespective of whose account has been used then the onus is on him to prove he sent them. My son paid for something through his Dad's PP account the goods were never sent, he went through the dispute procedure & got the money back. PayPal has been regulated by the Financial Standards Authority since 2004 so if your not happy with the way PP have handled this you may have redress from FSA. Try this link: http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/guides/making_a_complaint.html
N/A

Thanks.

The item has been paid but not to the original paypal account specified by the seller which invalidates any paypal protection, although they are investigating and trying to get my money or goods from the person I paid.

Should they fail and the goods never appear then I am looking for direction on what is the best route to pursue.
Community Veteran

Do you have it in writing that the seller told you to pay the money into an alternative account? If not it may be difficult to prove as the seller could claim that he never gave such instructions and is still waiting payment.
N/A

yes I have it it writing via ebay internal response.

BUT he know fails to respond to any emails. The telephone number he gave to ebay turns out not to exist. ebay give address only as London. How do I track this thief down ?
N/A

Its very very difficult.

Ebay is one of these type of companies that will do as little as possible if it an be helped.
To be honest, I would have personally never obliged the person in question and simply used the ebay checkout service and paid to the paypal account registered. That way I have everything on my side.

Dont forget as people become more aware of certain scams, others will try and find new ones to get people with. I stick to what I know and what im covered for.

Best thing you can do is in the paypal claim copy and past the PM fromt eh seller stating hat they wish for a certain paypal account to be used and tell them this is in your saved PM box on your ebay account.