cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dynamode modem

N/A

dynamode modem

Hi

I have always had an intermitent problem with the Dynamode 360 USB cable modem which of late has got worse. At first I thought it might be PC or OS specific but then I have changed these. ( It was also bloody difficult to install taking several goes. )The modem drops the connection whilst maintaining that it is still connected to the net. A friend suggested it might be the latency but there does not appear to be any intgerface to adjust it. Does this mean I am going to have to get a new modem ( OK it has lasted a good fair while though its performance has always been variable ) or are there any updates or workarounds?
5 REPLIES
N/A

dynamode modem

As I understand, you need an ADSL modem to get the best with F9, not a cable modem which is used by telwest and other 'cable' companies.
N/A

errata

whoops sorry - don't know why I typed cable modem - it IS an ADSL modem.
N/A

errata

whoops sorry - don't know why I typed cable modem - it IS an ADSL modem.
N/A

Connections

Hi bacchants,

I have an ADSL F9 connection via a Dlink ADSL USB modem and its great rock solid with high quality performace. No! dropped connections are far more likley to be caused by a number of BT or phone line related problems (NOT your modem or OS). these might be any one of the following:-

**Latency cannot be adjusted by a user its a BT phone line problem and relates to your actual phone line and the transmission quality or signal quality which allows for the data to travel across your line.

**Dropped connections might be caused by a high or higher than normal noise level or signal to noise (SNR) ratio on your line and is abit similar to the the above. Noise levels on your line can be measured by BT in (Db) decibels. Noise levels can be often be adjusted by a BT engineer by tweaking the gain on your line.

**Dropped connections or what appears to be a dropped connection but modem still appears connected but no data travelling across the connection or connection appears dead. This is a class ADSL stale session & is a simple & common problem and can usually be fixed by taking down the connection and leaving your system switched off for about 30-40mins this has the effect of resetting the line card at the BT exchange end of your connection. A re-start or reboot after the 30-40mins normally gives you a fresh ADSL connection again.

Ivan :lol:
N/A

thanks

thanks for your reply. much appreciated. I know at some point I have to go wireless. Force 9 have always been good providers. A lot of stuiff seem,s to come down to BT. Reading the state of ADSL in other countries in last weeks Micromart was na eye-opener. Hong Konfg connections made me dribble...