cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropped connections

Community Veteran

dropped connections

As I've noted elswehere on the forum, I've had a lot of trouble over the last couple of weeks with dropped connections. I thought the problem was cured, but it seems not.

Is this a FOL problem (eg customer numbers going up, so contention becoming more of an issue), or is it a BT exchange issue?

If the answer is the latter, then I know I'll be back into the old "we don't guarantee data, only voice" argument with BT. From experience I know that Ofcom (formerly Oftel) are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, so if the problem is BT, can FOL/Plusnet (as very large and presumably profitable customers) bring any pressure to bear? Cry

At the very least, can other users let me know if they're having similar experiences.

John
5 REPLIES
N/A

dropped connections

For the past week, I have had a lot of disconnects (sometimes within seconds of reconnecting). Is your problem a loss of synch to the exchange, because that is the issue I have.. Sometimes the reconnect is instant, sometimes it takes hours.. Totally random.. Sad

[Edit] I know my exchange is over subbed, but hopefully the upgrade goes ahead today..
Community Veteran

dropped connections

Thanks for the reply.

At random times, but usually late evening, my modem will start to drop the connection and then reconnect every few seconds. (It can get irritating, even if I'm not online, because every time it connects or drops the connection I get a "ding" sound.

The modem icon in the system tray gets an X in it ("ding") then a few seconds later, the X disappears ("ding"). There's no point trying to do anything online as the connection isn't open long enough to get aywhere, so the only thing to do is open the icon and click on "stop ADSL", and try again later.

I've contacted FOL on occasion in case it's a system problem, but they always suggest unplugging the modem for an hour.

I'm using the connexant modem supplied by FOL , version 2.099.040.000, Ndis driver version 4012.099.040.000

John
N/A

dropped connections

You can turn the sound off in Control Panel.. I have almost all of mine off all the time..

With that modem, there i sno way of knowing where the loss is coming from, but it's the same symptoms as mine, and mine mostly disconnects at night as well..

I have two open calls at the moment, both hinging on the exchange upgrade. Here's hoping.. BTW, have you checked your exchange status?

You can use this tool:
http://usertools.free-online.net/exchanges/
Community Veteran

dropped connections

Thanks - something else I didn't know existed. I really should explore the site a bit more. My exchange displays the following:

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

It also says that ADSL may run slower than it should on some lines, so that may be part of the problem they've got an ETA of 11 Aug. So let's see if it improves.

Thanks again

John
N/A

dropped connections

I only know about it from support. 11 Aug.. Hmm.. That does not give me much hope as it was a week ago.. Sad