cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dodgy email

N/A

dodgy email

this morning i recieved an email in german with a 20kb attachment - subject line 07/05/02 - by nature i am suspicous - i delete mail that looks dodgy. the trouble is i always worry that i should have opened the file - its probably the reason that i permently delete them immediatly - anybody else recieve similar - got any advice to alay my paranoia.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: dodgy email

You mean you only got the one dodgy e-mail?
Quiet right, when in doubt I also delete. The latest trick is to have the senders and recpients name the same - so I have added all my e-mail addresses to my junk mail list!

Norman
PS were you expecting it and do you speak German?

> this morning i recieved an email in german with a 20kb attachment - subject line 07/05/02 - by nature i am suspicous - i delete mail that looks dodgy. the trouble is i always worry that i should have opened the file - its probably the reason that i permently delete them immediatly - anybody else recieve similar - got any advice to alay my paranoia.

N/A

> Hi Norman

No, I dont speak german - and wasnt expecting a email from there - i do have web space with one & one and have found this does attract dodgy european based postings from time to time. as i said - if i am in the slightest doubt i dont open - the problem is that its normally that trusted friend who gets you.
Mark

You mean you only got the one dodgy e-mail?
> Quiet right, when in doubt I also delete. The latest trick is to have the senders and recpients name the same - so I have added all my e-mail addresses to my junk mail list!
>
> Norman
> PS were you expecting it and do you speak German?
>
> > this morning i recieved an email in german with a 20kb attachment - subject line 07/05/02 - by nature i am suspicous - i delete mail that looks dodgy. the trouble is i always worry that i should have opened the file - its probably the reason that i permently delete them immediatly - anybody else recieve similar - got any advice to alay my paranoia.
>
>

N/A

I got one as well, don't worry! I opened my - no virus.

Do you have domians with one and one - it's an invoice from them if you do. I think the wrong computer is sending them out.

Jim Bray
N/A

> I got one as well, don't worry! I opened my - no virus.
>
> Do you have domians with one and one - it's an invoice from them if you do. I think the wrong computer is sending them out.
>
> Jim Bray

If you have a good viruschecker (Norton's probably the best) and its updated regularly (check the website for latest versions of viruses also) then set it to work on the email and if it comes up clean the chances are that it probably is. However, the safest option will always be to delete suspicious emails without opening them ! You have 2 further options though if you really are curious of its contents. 1) Reply without opening, asking for authentication of their email, or 2) Forward to a mate who doesn't worry about viruses etc as he is confident of his Firewalled/Virusalerted&checked/Faraday Caged/Soundproofed PC and ask him to print it off for you.

Cheers

Phil