cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

display fault

N/A

display fault

Hi , as a comparitively new boy to all things computing, would appreciate any help to resolve an annoying problem.. Just recently , when clicking on an icon ( not all are affected) the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds then the application shows,BUT in what appears to be on screen as 'safe mode', ..On checking settings I find that the colour quality is at the lowest ie; 8 bits. !! I am at a loss as to why this occurs. When the original settings are applied thats ok , but when I again click on certain icons the same thing happens...Checked monitor; display ; etc but am rather stumped The set -up is XP Pro.. As I say any help would be greatly appreciated Vin Roberts Sad
16 REPLIES
N/A

REPLYING

Hi Vin,

OK I know this might sound daft but are you 100% certain your NOT loggin to WindowsXP in safe mode?? I think normally you would know if XP was running in safe mode as it would show on boot up. However the display settings i.e. being set to the lowest resolution of 8bits sounds exactly right for safe mode, in safe mode windows loads only a the barest minimum device's & drivers and that would include the display settings.

**OK other things I would definately check is wheather you DO HAVE the latest display drivers for your machine (for the hardware, graphics adapter & display or monitor)

**Heres another thing you could try and that is to uninstalling the drivers for the graphics card and re-install them in case its the drivers that are the cuase of this problem. To be honest its a bit tricky if you've never done this before and it does require a user with a little knowledge of this subject area (no disrespect my friend). Its just that its very easy to end up without any screen image if not done correctly though.

**You should definately definately run any anti virus software you might have on your system and also check for spyware I use the excellent free version of AdAware from Lavasoft. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

**Have you tried to change the display settings to a different mode to see if the same problem persists. i.e change from 600x800 to 1024 x 768 etc and also see if changing the refresh rate,also changing from say 16bit to true colour makes any difference to the problem.

**Ideally XP prefers display adapter drivers which have all been digitally signed as XP compatible so if your drivers are not digitally signed it can possibly cause problems of system instability. Once again XP has a handy little tool that you can use to check that files are digitally signed so you can run this tool and if your display or graphics card drivers are NOT signed it might well show up.

To run the the file checker goto start button, start menu, run command, in the box type the following sigverif and then press enter this starts the tool, next goto the advanced button and click on this, next you should see x2 tabs. goto the search tab and make sure the radio button which say: Notify me if any system files are not signed. if this is checked thats good now run the tool and see what you get back?

Ivan
N/A

display fault

Hello Ivan,
many thanks for the prompt reply re my problem.. First of all re the knowledge reference , I am not in the least offended in any way, and I bow to people such as yourself, who far and away more 'computerate' than myself..and most certainly 'take advice' if there is any doubt ! I am wondering if I made myself clear enough when I originally pointed out my problem being that only three or four icons on the desktop were affected.Yes I take your point re the 'settings of my display being very much like 'Safe Mode' 8 bits on the colour quality..But what happens is that when the 'settings' are re-adjusted, to values like 600 x 800 and colour quality set to (highest ) 32 bits , the display for that particular icon is fine ...that is until I perhaps need to use it again, then exactly the same thing happens !! As for security measures Ivan, I have on board Spyware Blaster./Doctor .AVG, Adaware(which is one of the culprits)and of course XP Firewall (switched ON )..After reading your observations I also checked on the driver digitally signed prog as you advised,, but this with my afore mentioned limited knowledge, left me a little 'baffled' (must get to grips !) Right now have to dash , but please be assured that your.. help in any way is greatly appreciated Many thanks again , :? Vin Roberts
N/A

Yet More

Hi Vin,

First of all I am still struggling here to understand the nature of the problem from what you describe? Secondly, from past experience the windows XP firewall is rubbish and only blocks in bound connections and so has very limited value indeed. Please could I suggest that you switch off (that is disable completely) the XP firewall and download a copy of ZoneLabs completely brilliant ZoneAlarm which you can still obtain free from their website. Dont be fooled by all the other bells & whistles in their other products. The basic free firewall is an extremely robust and powerful software firewall and in all the time I've now been using this it has never failed me and I use it 24/7. I've been using this version of zone alarm for about three to four years now. The program has a good tutorial that steps you through post installation configuration.

http://www.zonelabs.com

Secondly, sorry! to have too tell you this but spyware blaster is also completely rubbish I tested it for a prolonged length of time and it didnt prevent any spyware sneaking into my machine, such as diallers, malware nor my internet explorer homepage being hijacked. Frankly my opinion is its a complete waste of space & time and I removed it shortly after testing it. Also users can be lulled into a false sense of security using this kind of product as you think it will protect you from attack which it clearly failed to do.

**AdAware I definately highly recommend as it definately continues to prevent system harm from internet rubbish and this program offers a safe way to remove anything that has managed to invade my system so far.

Ivan :?
N/A

display fault

Hello again Ivan , and many thanks for persevering with my problem.. I switch on the computer,the desktop is quite normal ,(no 'safe mode' quirks) I click on a displayed icon ,say 'Mozilla. or perhaps Adaware, and then the screen goes blank for approximately 2 seconds and the prog shows ...but the colour bits are down to 8...! Re-adjusting the colour quality to 32 bits in 'settings', and all is well ,,,that is until I use the same procedure again !and then the same thing happens: On most of the other desktop items everything is quite normal.. I feel as an apprentice, that perhaps I should uninstall the offending progs ?
As far as the security 'bits n pieces' I appreciate your remarks re certain programmes, I suppose I belong to the naive 'flock' who trusts a little too much
and take things at face value, especially when I have no real alternative..
However I've just described the 'bare bones' of what happens Ivan I do hope it enlightens things a bit , and I apoligise if I have'nt made things clearer before..
Many thanks for your help and suggestions best wishes Vin Roberts
N/A

display fault

Hi back again Ivan, forgot to mention, that I do in fact have Zone Alarm installed and running , I also notice a spelling mistake ( apologise !) !!!

Thanks again Vin Roberts
N/A

Display problems

Hi Vin,

Well I've just read your further reply and I think I have a handle on whats going on here. Yes! this does sound quite strange but I think what is happening here is that when you load a program (application) it sounds very much like Windows is running extremely low on memory resources and so inorder to prevent windows crashing catastophically its protecting itself bye resetting something, and the easiest thing seems to be the display settings. In other words the graphics card & video memory are not able to function correctly and run out of resources when you load a program.

This points too a number of possible things 1) display drivers again sorry!! yes! this could be caused by the drivers if they are a) not the correct version or not digitally signed and thus unstable 2) could be just the particular copy of the display drivers you have installed, one solution would be to get hold of another copy of the same drivers and un-install & re-install them. 3) How much RAM do you have installed in your machine? if its low like 256MB this would certainly make sense. XP really requires 512MB or more to run with good performance. 4) You might just have far too many programs or system services running at the same time & loading a program is the final staw that brakes the camels back as it were.

**What kind of graghics card to you have? and how much video memory does the card have?

**There are numerous system services that can be switched off within XP and the built in Microsoft XP firewall can certainly be disabled if you also have ZoneAlarm running. Bye doing this you release resources & CPU time for other more important things that windows needs. This improves the performance of you computer too.

Ivan
N/A

display fault

Hi again Ivan, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner , Easter hols and all that ..All your observations noted and in fact acted upon. I first of all went to Direct Diagnostics. to confirm or otherwise , on the amount of Ram and the makers of the installed graphic card: info as follows; System info 480 mb of Ram memory, (917mb available) Graphic card ProSavageDDR S3 Graphics Ltd: Total Memory 32.0 mb Driver,S3GNB.dll Version 9 (or higher) Screen refresh rate = 60 hertz .. Have also tried hardware accelerator speed ajustments.. In the Direct Diagnostic display, notes; show 'no problems' !!!
I mentioned in my last reply Ivan that I may un-install one of the offending items , which I did , I took out Mozilla then re-installed it , but there was not the slightest difference... So ,back to more head scratching ! Thanks again, and all the best to you and yours Vin Roberts ( must also check on unnecessary running progs at start up as you suggest )
N/A

Still sounds like a conflict with an application

Hi Vin,

All the items you mentioned above and searched for information on sounds fine from the point of view of using system resources. There seems to be enough memory in terms of RAM and the gragphics card. As I said before and I still stand bye what I said previously this is definately a problem with an application conflicting and it still sounds like its conflicting with either the graphics driver/s or possible the hardware itself. Another thought I just had is have you checked to make sure this graphics card is XP compatible?? MS has a hardware compatibility list on their website I believe which shows all the hardware which has been tested as XP compatible. Is the graphics card a new one that came with your machine or one you've bought seperately yourelf and installed, or a second hand one?

**If the graphics card is NOT an on the motherboard type (i.e. a graphics chip) and is a graphics card in a slot, it might be worth openning the system unit and physically removing the card and then resetting it, re-seating the card in the slot. This is definately worth trying and sometimes it can make all the difference too and its the same with network cards in slots too.

XP can be quite picky when it comes to hardware like graphics cards & drivers.

**60 Hrtz refresh rate is abit low and I would be inclined to set the refresh rate to between 75 or better still 80 Hrtz you might also try adjusting the screen resolution to match. The setting of 60Hrtz might just about be OK if you are using a laptop say but if its a desktop No! it should be set higher than this, as I said between 75-80 Hrtz usually for comfortable viewing and less strain on your eyes.
Ivan
N/A

display fault

Hello , Ivan, sorry for slight delay,have new problems of medical kind ? Had to take my wife for a check-up..Anway, thanks again for your continued interest and help.. You ask in your last reply, if the graphic card is separate from the orginal set-up ! Well the computer was purchased with the monitor etc complete. The OS Windows XP Pro was installed by a generous friend, and has been working satisfactorily for the past 18 months , also supplied was a C.D with the appropriate drivers etc...for applications , again quite happy with things until very recently ( Been trying to think what has caused the upset !)
Gone through the driver update procedures ' best drivers installed ' checked any 'conflicts etc' again o.k ( no conflicts ) In the default monitor ?colour management there is just a blank square; profile, 'none'... is there supposed to be anything there at all Ivan ?? ( Been looking for the 'lump hammer ' recently ??) Either that, or a new installation of XP Pro !! Hope you enjoyed your Easter break... Best wishes, Vin Roberts
N/A

Further reply

Hello Again Vin,

OK but you havent really answered the question about the graphics card, does that mean you dont know really, its OK if you dont. Its helpful if you do as it might make a big difference. If your NOT confident to open the system unit and have a look then fine leave well alone, or if you have a friend that can answer this question again that would be good.

**Some computers come with a motherboard which has graphics "onboard" which means the graphics are produced bye a graphics chip physically part of your machines system board.

**Some people like to buy more expensive graphics cards for example for high quality graphics work & website design work or for online gaming etc. These add on cards are fitted into the AGP slot (also called the AGP port) which is inside the machine.

**Its also possible that the graphics card is already installed into the AGP slot inside the machine? but you could do with clarfying this matter.

**No! DONT get yourself confused here, the page or tab relating to colour profile is concerned only with your colour monitor and its advanced colour capabilities. No! dont worry about this page its normally blank or empty. As an example I have a Compaq V75 17inch monitor which came with a floppy containing a small cnf file which loads into that page and this tells the graphics card what advanced colour palettes & modes this monitor uses but its optional and most monitors dont need it at all and work fine without it. I also have one of the best graphics monitors on the market a LeCie 22inch Electron Blue and this doesnt require an additional colour profile, its a wonderful monitor without.

**No! I dont think its nesseccary to re-install XP that would seem abit drastic, but I do think un-installing the graphics card if its an add on card or reseating the card would be worth a try.

Ivan
N/A

display fault

Hi again Ivan , Just read thru' your current reply, and will try to come to the main point you mention, i.e the graphics card..! When I recently passed on the info re Drivers and amount of available memory I should have mentioned that there was info regarding the makers and reference to the graphics card ie: Pro Savage DDR. S3 Graphics.Co Ltd and that there was a 'Chip Type' graphics card installed in the computer.. Driver S3GNB...
As for delving into :x the computer I suppose this comes as second nature to people like yourself, Ivan, ...Me; I guess I'm the type who will no doubt follow Murphy's Law and just cock things up..Give me a radio circuit diagram and I will cope , Yes I know some will say its easy ,( I must confess I'm a 'bit long in the tooth' ) so will have to think long and hard on poking around inside the computer.BUT, if this problem continues to annoy me the way it has , then, the ' lump hammer' will be the last resort !! AFTER I have opened it up ....... thanks again; Vin Roberts
N/A

MORE

Hi Vin,

OK so you've confirmed that its an onboard graphics card emulated by a graphics chip, this is extremely common with many PC's these days. With this type of onboard graphics chip I 've found that getting the exact & precise drivers that match the card concerned is VITAL these must be designed for the exact make & model of graphics card otherwise yes! it can be quite problematic.

**If the PC also has an additional graphics card installed its important that the onboard graphics is turned off in your machines system bios, otherwise the two will conflict. But I think this would be pretty obvious if this was the case.

Apart from what we've discussed thus far I have no more ideas and am no closer to helping you sort it out.

Ivan
N/A

display fault

Hello Ivan, After this rather long 'marathon' Things seem to be.( dare I say it ?)
back to normal. When I mentioned that there was also a 'Mainboard Disc' supplied with the computer ,as part of a small bundle ! I thought 'what have I got to lose '?
So, accordingly, I ran the disc and the necessary drivers were duly checked/and installed..After a re-start, and a check on the bios, I just could not believe it when all the icons on the desk top seemed to stabilise... I can only offer my sincere thanks for putting me on the right road with your suggestions which were so right,
Its almost like having a new computer.. I really must try to learn about the more relevant things , not just switching on and off etc, and I'm glad I have not had to ' get inside ' So , there it is Ivan ; Its great to know that there are people out there, who so kindly 'come to the rescue' when anyone shouts for help; I feel so inadequate when it comes to 'computer know how' , but as I said earlier, being a 'bit long in the tooth', its difficult to teach an old dog new tricks.
Finally Ivan, may I once more offer my sincere thanks for all your help and efforts in solving this annoying problem... and my very best wishes to you and yours. Vin Roberts .
:lol:
N/A

REPLYING

Dear Vin,

I've just read your reply, I'm so pleased for you that the drivers have sorted the problem out thats brilliant news. Well Vin I do have a small confession to make I do have just a few years of experience in IT behined me but computing is such a broad subject that you never can know it all (and thats a good thing I think).

**Your completely wrong about NOT being able to teach an old dog new tricks, as thats exactly what my old dad said to me when he retired after 35years in the NHS. He used to type one fingered on an electric type writer until he bought an Amstrad 386 PC then I taught him basic computer skills, after that he used it all the time and he did all his Open University course work on it right up until he died in 2000.

**We all have to start learning about computers from some point, I remember the first course I did in IT and I can tell you I used to go home every night with terrible headaches saying I'll never understand this stuff that was back in 1989 Yes! thats right 1989!! Internet nobody had any idea what that was back then.

Glad to have been able to be of assistence to you!! Best Regards Ivan Cool