cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connectivity

Community Veteran

connectivity

Is it just my connection, or is everybody else having connection problems over the last couple of days?

I seem to be dropping the connection, much more than usual, and the service status doesn't indicate a problem. I even noticed that at one point, my ADSL modem had connected at 28.8K!! :shock:

John
10 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: connectivity

Is it just my connection, or is everybody else having connection problems over the last couple of days?

I seem to be dropping the connection, much more than usual, and the service status doesn't indicate a problem. I even noticed that at one point, my ADSL modem had connected at 28.8K!! :shock:

John

Hi there,

This sounds like it could be a driver problem (the connection speed is a giveaway). Uninstall your modem software and drivers then install them afresh from the driver CD.
Community Veteran

connectivity

Thanks for the prompt response. It seems ok today, but if I have any more problems, I'll follow your suggestion.

John
Mike_Grice
Grafter

connectivity

Thanks for the prompt response. It seems ok today, but if I have any more problems, I'll follow your suggestion.

John

OK thanks, be sure to let us know.
N/A

Connection Problems

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum as I have only had Broadband since Wednesday.

My first impressions are good - I can access my email much much faster now and ..... well thats about it!

When it comes to browsing sites, actually seeing them is a rare thing even though I am connected at 576kbps!

Take now for instance, I am trying to download a 7mb file but my connection has just hung - again. It then reset itself and so I lost all of the file I was downloading. This happens quite frequently, about every 15 mins or so. I have checked my setup according to the settings on the Free-online site and they all match.

I am also getting transfers speeds great than I did with my modem! Is this common with broadband too?

Is anyone else experiencing this very intermittent service? Is this intermittency a common thing with Free-Online?

Any help is much appreciated,
Nathan

Edit: This is the fourth time I've had to post this message as my connection failed again! Please tell me i'm not alone in experiencing this very intermittent service.
Community Veteran

dROPPED CONNECTIONS

Hi

I've been on broadband now for around 4 months, and I have to say that the connection is generally good. I should also say that the service from FOL has been great (I was with Freeserve before, and found that the term customer service didn't seem to come into the equation)

You'll find that although, when you hover the mouse over your connection, it says you're connected at 576K, that isn't correct. Use the FOL bandwidth test to get a better picture, or if you want a test that's a bit more independant go to:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and try theirs.

The problem may lie with your 'phone line of course, or the connection between the computer and the 'phone socket. I would suggest giving the friendly people at FOL a call :lol: , or raise a ticket on the "contact us" link.

Good luck

John
N/A

connectivity

Hi John,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have raised a Contact Us thing too, but don't know how fast they are to reply so I asked in here too and guess who replied first! Smiley

From what you're saying about Free-Online broadband is that it's good, so it can only get better.

I've just tried the speed test on adslguide.org.uk and my connection failed!

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll be waiting for CS to reply to my Contact Us message and see what they suggest.

Regards,
Nathan
Community Veteran

connectivity

Hi

In my experience they get back to you within a day with some sort of reponse, even if it's "we don't know, we're looking into it"

John
N/A

connectivity

Hi,

Just to let you all know the resolution to my previous problem. I was running Windows XP with Service Pack 1 on it, so I reinstalled Windows XP but this time didn't put Service Pack 1 on it, and it's working fine now!

Thanks for your help John, is much appreciated.

Nathan
Mike_Grice
Grafter

connectivity

Hi,

Just to let you all know the resolution to my previous problem. I was running Windows XP with Service Pack 1 on it, so I reinstalled Windows XP but this time didn't put Service Pack 1 on it, and it's working fine now!

Thanks for your help John, is much appreciated.

Nathan

Hi there,

That is interesting -- what modem are you using, out of interest?
N/A

connectivity

Hi,

I'm using a Netgear DG824M Wireless Modem Gateway with Windows XP.

Nathan