cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection problems

Community Veteran

connection problems

I raised a connection problem on the phone this evening (yes it's the one I've been ranting about for weeks) I notice that the issue is recorded as closed, even though there wasn't a conclusion other than "try a different filter" Why was that, when I was still having problems?

I'm now back on line (obviously). The problems almost always start around 9:00pm and last for about an hour or so (tonight it was 9:20 to about 10:40)

I obviously don't change anything on my set-up at these times, so it can't be my modem, internal phone extensions, micro-filters, telephone, sky-box, or anything else that I have control over. Evil

So it's FOL/Plusnet, or BT.

BT has checked the line previously and say there is no fault (after which they revert to script 1b "We only guarantee voice and fax, not data" The subtext reads, "Yes I know we take lots of money from people to supply internet connections, but that's our money, because they gave it to us", and of course OfCom is about as useful as the proverbial chocolate fireguard.

Which leaves FOL, who also says there are no faults on their system. Judging from the forum responses to my queries that's true, or at least no-one else is admitting to having problems.

So it's no-bodys' fault, but for about an hour every evening, I can't use the service I pay for. What do I do now?

rant over for the moment :lol:

John
21 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

connection problems

Hi John,

The ticket on your account is just a closed comment made by the person you spoke to describing what was discussed. This should be done whenever someone calls so we have an audit trail and can see what's been said if you call back.

We can raise this through to BT if you want, just raise us a ticket with all the information.
Community Veteran

Connection problems

Thanks for the response. It's now Saturday afternoon, and the same thing is happening. I think sometimes the cause is general trouble on the FOL system, judging by the problem notifications, but often there is no published problem with the system. (as today)

Maybe I'm just a cynic but it does seem to be when you would expect high demand for internet access (late evening and weekends)

What are the likely / probable causes? and is BT likely to do anything (remembering their "we only guarantee voice" stance)?

John
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

connection problems

We can certainly raise it with BT, there's a set of 9 questions we'll need you to answer before we can raise it, they're in the Contact Us wizard if you raise a ticket or if you call the support team the agent will ask you them.
Once we have all the info we'll test the line and raise it through to BT.
Community Veteran

still the same

Hi
having experienced the same frustrations again this evening, I have once again phoned in (waited half an hour to speak to someone, so there must be lots of other people having problems as well as me.)

The guy I spoke to this time, seemed to latch on to the time issue, and had a look at the exchange status (and explained how I can do it too, but of course that only works when Ican get on line)

It seems the Chelmsford exchange is at status amber, and having contention problems (BT problems not FOL) ETA fix time is 29th Sept, so maybe the end is in sight!

So how come no-ne else noticed the issue :?:

John
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

connection problems

For myself I'll hold my hands up and say I completely forgot about the exchange checker.
Hopefully from tomorrow the problem will be gone. It might be that there's just one of the virtual paths (VP) at your local exchange that's been affected by the problem, each exchange will have at least 3 VP's some more, which would mean that if only one VP was affected not everyone on your exchange would be seeing problems.
N/A

connection problems

Hi, Are you still having problems? or have you found out whether it's an exchange issue?

Have you been having these problems from day one? or is this a recent issue?

Sorry to start from scratch, but I don't know any details you may have already posted on here. I'm happy to read any other posts relating to this, if you point me in the right direction.

Aaron
Community Veteran

connection problems

Hi

I signed up for ADSL around January last year, and have had superb service until about June this year. (apart from when I had Sky installed and had connection problems, but they seemed to clear)

For the last 2 or 3 months, I've had intermittent problems. At certain times, I start to lose the connection. It connects for a couple of seconds, then drops the connection again. That will go on for about an hour or an hour and a half, then it clears, and everything's fine again.

From this I'm pretty sure it's not my modem settings, it's not my windows settings, and it's not the microfilters, or it would happen all the time.

It's not anything else operating on the line, because I've tried disconnecting everything except the computer.

The latest thing was that the tech team at FOL pointed out that my exchange was on amber (ie. there were problems at that end) It's now on green, and the problems have continued.

I re-contacted the FOL people again, and they've reported it to BT to test the line. the problem with that is, it's intermittent, and I haven't disconnected since I called them, so either BT did something, or the problem will come up again, and they'll say they've checked the line and found nothing wrong. It's incredibly frustrating!!

I will post here again, if I maage to get an answer.

John
N/A

connection problems

Have you put the sky box on a filter? as you will need to do this.

If you get any further problems, then reply back and I'll see if I can help any further.
Community Veteran

connection problems

My cable set-up is as follows:
The master socket has an extention lead that runs up stairs to my computer. On the end of that is a microfilter, which has my computer plugged into it and nothing else.

coming from the "straight through" socket on the extention plug, is a short extention cable (so that I don't have lots of bits hanging on the wall). At the end of this is another microfilter which is connected to the Sky box, and my phone.

Essentially the set-up is similar to the one on the tutorial forum on this site.

John
Community Veteran

connection problems

Dear Customer,
We are unsure as to what the issue is and intermittent faults of this nature are the hardest to resolve. Can you confirm the problem usually only occurs between 7pm and 11pm as you have previously detailed, because this could mean electrical interference from a device. Central heating, outside lights, and even street lighting have been known to cause interference.
The issue though may also be with the modem you are using. Ideally you would need to test with an alternative modem if possible when the problem returns.
I understand your frustration , but unless a fault is identified on line testing we cannot raise a fault further to BT as they will just clear it.
If you want a BT engineer to visit you and perform checks this can be arranged, but if they visit and find no fault a charge will be made by them for the callout.
Regards,
Martin Cundell

The above message was posted regarding my open ticket. As you can see, it poses a question, but Martin closed the ticket, so that can't post a reply!

The answer is "yes" generally around those times, but it isn't always the same time, and it doesn't coincide with lighting up time, central heating start-up, or anything like that. I repeat that nothing on my setup changes, including the modem, when the problem occurs, and at other times everything works perfectly. However I appreciate the difficulty associated with intermittent faults, and thanks for your efforts.

When I've had similar problems previously, which I've pursued an answer for (mostly with BT) the problem seems to go away for a couple of months, so perhaps that'll be the case this time as well.

I'd call it s**d's law if I wasn't such a cynic :twisted:

John
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

connection problems

Hi John,

The way the ticket system works is that tickets we raise we can close and tickets you raise you can close, but not the other way around. We also don't have a return to customer option for internally raised tickets.

This is something that is being addressed.

In the meantime though, just raise a new ticket quoting the first ticket number and question and let us know the answers and it get put back through for you.
Community Veteran

connection problems

Thanks, but as you say, there's little point unless you happen to check the line, while I'm having problems.

I appreciate the efforts you've made, and will raise it again, when the problem re-occurs. It's been ok for a couple of days now, so maybe that's a good sign. :?

John
N/A

connection problems

I thought it was just me. I thought I was going mad. Exactly, the same things has been happening to me - Manchester.

At around 21.00hrs drops the connection (pretty inconveniant if your ebay'ing) and at hte weekend its intermitant.

I've tried testing different routers/access points/modems/filters and have come to the conclusion that its absolutely nothing to do wih my Computer / System setup.

When I've contacted FOL they've told me that the exchange is 'Green'. Resolution - Cold Boot.

One of things that has got me thinking is SKY.

I'm going to disconnect the Phone Line (I'm over the minimum contract period) from the SKY Box and monitor the situation over the coming few days.

This has been driving me nuts.

Is SKYs 'passive' telephone updating compatable with FOL Broadband?Huh
Community Veteran

connection problems

Hi

I unplugged the Sky box, and that seemed to ease the situation. I still have occassional periods of disconnection, but not nearly so bad.

I've also just bought a modem/router and networked my son's computer and mine (now two sons can be on MSN at the same time!) I was told by one FOL rep. that it may be the PCI modem, so we'll see, won't we?

I can date my connection problems pretty accurately to when we got Sky installed. So you may have a point. :twisted:

John