cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing my membership name

N/A

I am fed up of the 100 plus spam a day I get - some of it pretty sick stuff. I am thinking of changing my F9 name to stop it as I get my new laptop. I am not concerned about losing contacts as I already have a backup ISP in S Africa, and people alternate the two addresses anyway.
Should I?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Somewhere a little further back in the forums (within the last 3-4 months) I posted this exact question but was told that it couldn't be done because it is very labour intensive. Like you, I have recently bought a new laptop running Vista and I didn't want it cluttering up with spam. Instead, I blackholed the main account/e-mail adress and added a mailbox with a different name before the @ sign/username. This has worked and I now don't get any spam (fingers crossed).
Liam
Grafter

The alternative is signing up for a Free PAYG Dialup account with another username. You could use the mailboxes that come with this for your email.
fraserc
Grafter

<tongue in cheek>you'll be using Outlook then!</tongue in cheek>

I use Thunderbird (see http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/) - on my laptop - and download all mail every couple of minutes when I'm online. I find the junk (spam) filters with a bit of training have a very high rate of success, moving most spam to my junk folder. Once a week or so I just do a very quick check on this to make sure there's nothing from anyone I do know there (very rare!) and delete it all.
N/A

Liam - Your suggestion was my first port of call but I asked for it to be deleted in the end because I couldn't use Outlook Express to send e-mails due to the account details for broadband being different to the new free one. Is there another way round this that I don't know about, other than using webmail?