cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing banks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

changing banks

Currently I'm with Bank of Lets give him a nice £20 letter Scotland with a std Current account with Switch and no Overdraft.

So I'm looking to change banks, so would like to hear from Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale customers on a issue, there the only other major Banks avaliable in my area so I'm not spoilt for choice.

If you go overdrawn and make attempts to make good a day later do they charge you or not without question?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
17 REPLIES
N/A

changing banks

I believe all banks charge for this letter.

First they place the charge on your for going overdrawn, next the charge for the letter, then the intrest on the credit.
Community Veteran

changing banks

well it used to be you had 2-3 days grace to make good, now they don't do that anymore. I went overdrawn on 23rd paid some money in to cover it on the 24th in the morning and still go the letter today, so I'm not staying with that level of service
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

changing banks

Welcome to automation.

You may find that you have received some information off your bank in the past, stating that the rules/Terms & COnditions have changed.

I know for one that I have ignored them.
N/A

changing banks

Believe it or not, but I have found that a visit to the bank in person rather than phoning or writing to explain the situation will very often get the charges dropped.
I must admit that there is plenty of other banks in my town I could open an account with, so this may not work for you.
As you know these charges are automated and if you dont challange them, you end up paying them.
It's in the banks interest to keep you as a long term customer and you may find them to be flexible, anyway it's worth a try.
Community Veteran

changing banks

I agree with Paul Wade, that a visit in person should get you the desired response as long as this situation is not a regular occurance.

As to the RBS, I can not comment as I have not exceeded my O/D limit to test what happens next.

David
N/A

O/D

Why not just switch to an account with a guaranteed overdraft. Most banks offer them?
Community Veteran

Re: O/D

Why not just switch to an account with a guaranteed overdraft. Most banks offer them?

True, but if you exceed the overdraft limit the charges would still apply as this is unauthorised borrowing. Some banks used to offer a buffer zone above the agreed limit but I am not sure which ones currently do.
Community Veteran

Re: O/D

simple fact I'm currently unemployed so no bank would give me one

Anyway after complaining they finally gave me a refund, I just dont Get it for another week. but still looking for a better bank
N/A

changing banks

I see, sorry to hear that.

I think probably your best then, is to speak to your bank in person.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Quote tag removed for you.]
norma

changing banks

I had been with the Clydesdale Bank for almost 20 years up until this month. I've now swapped to RBS.
I find the Clydesdale Bank very expensive for services - they charge £25 for a letter (I got one for being 43 pance overdrawn Evil and ended up with £25 letter and £20 odd bank charges). The smaller Clydesdale branches don't open as late as RBS or HBoS.
RBS on-line banking is so much better than the Clydesdale's.

But (and this is a good one).........

When you go into an RBS branch to pay in money, you have to sign a deposit slip and it's done manually. Shocked I stared at the poor woman and asked her where I keyed in my PIN number. She had no idea what I was talking about.
N/A

changing banks

I am with Nationwide and they have TWICE written off charges when I was slightly overdrawn for 1/2 days.

Mike
N/A

changing banks

I am just switching from RBS to Nationwide. RBS do not charge for the unauthorised overdraft letter, but they charge a £20 fee for going over the limit. Nationwide do not charge for the letter, but it's a £12 fee and the interest rates are a lot lower than the RBS ones. In fact Nationwide don't charge for a lot of things that other banks charge for Smiley

Sam
N/A

changing banks

That's because Nationwide aren't like other banks, they're a building society Wink
N/A

changing banks

Nationwide's online banking is pretty good too - and if you have a current account with them you can open an e-account - which basically can only be actioned on the net but pays a very good interest rate so you can juggle funds around to maximise your interest Wink

Mike