cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cgi to ccgi search engine rankings

N/A

Yup - agree.
It looks more or less like the features pages offered by most 'web hosting' companies, and nowhere does it specify which are 'complimentary' to the main service, and which ARE the main service. Which then gives F9 the opportunity to say 'any' feature is potentially 'not' one of the main ones.

All I can see here really that distinguishes it from a home account is that it has the anti-virus, and anti-spam built-in.
44 REPLIES
N/A

So we all have to make this change to the new ccgi.
What will become of all my shop links on google and yahoo that are cgi.?
It has taken a lot of work to get my site ranked.
Thanks,

Mark
N/A

At the moment, and as far as I know, cgi. will stop working which will mean you loose all your search engine rankings etc. Hopefully Force9 will realise that this is not acceptable to the many users of the server, and change their minds, though!
N/A

it probably wont work but I'm trying adding a DNS record pointing the cgi subdomain for my domain at the new CGI server for my domain.

Anyone know if this may work? I dont know how f9 have stuff setup. Will let you know how it goes....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I've tried it already and it doesn't work I'm afraid.
N/A

d'oh.

Is it that the new CGI server isnt set up to recognise the cgi subdomain? If that is the only problem then could that be something thats added? - dont know how much work that would be.

Allowing recognition of other subdomains would also be a nice inclusion tbh...
N/A

Force9 provide a service for a monthly fee.
They then provide no support for cgi.
The cgi has completely crashed this year and we have to reupload.
The cgi runs like a pig at times.
The cgi is up and down like a yo-yo.
A virus got into the cgi some months ago and over wrote html and php files of many customers.
They introduce a new ccgi platform and we have to sort it out ourselves.
The new ccgi seems to run slowly.
Our hard work getting search engine rankings are lost.
Who says that the new ccgi will be efficient?
What are we going to do about it?
Who is suing for damages?
Who is voting with their feet?
Which host should we move to?
Community Veteran

perhaps the best solution would be for f9 to keep a dummy cgi. running which just 301's everything to ccgi. so the search engines know about the move?

I've done something similar before on regular subdomains and it seemed to work.

just my £0.02 ..

Andrew D Wiles
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
slev
Grafter

Force9 provide a service for a monthly fee.
They then provide no support for cgi.
The cgi has completely crashed this year and we have to reupload.
The cgi runs like a pig at times.
The cgi is up and down like a yo-yo.
A virus got into the cgi some months ago and over wrote html and php files of many customers.
They introduce a new ccgi platform and we have to sort it out ourselves.
The new ccgi seems to run slowly.
Our hard work getting search engine rankings are lost.
Who says that the new ccgi will be efficient?
What are we going to do about it?
Who is suing for damages?
Who is voting with their feet?
Which host should we move to?

F9 Provide these as free added extras just like the fax to e-mail service,
the payment you make is for your adsl connection.

If you need all these services guaranteed then maybe you should place your web site with a company dedicated to web site hosting, F9 is not a hosting company as of yet.

Regards

Ian
N/A

I do not have a broadband package with F9 I use BT . I purchased a business hosting package for about £12 per month from F9. One assumed that the word "business" meant a b to b service. You are right I will be moving away after I have sorted out the mess F9 have left me in.
N/A

it is a very pathetic service for business hosting (i.e. you pay just for the service, no added extra malarky) to be honest.
N/A

Thanks for that Jarvis.
It is just pants that they couldn't have let me know that before I signed up and experienced for myself what a shambles it has been over the last 14 months.
Please, please, please will someone let me know who the best hosts are for cgi and give excellent support.
Mark
deepfatfrier
Grafter

I have basically no idea how CGI works, but this seems like a logical idea. However, it's most probably still wrong, so feel free to laugh heartily at it (I'm not skint, I'm getting nice money for some work and I just got a nice cold cathode kit for under a tenner - I can take it right now! Cheesy)

When cgi. finally shuts down, why don't F9 just point the DNS record for cgi. at ccgi. (so it's just a simple DNS link)? As long as everything was kept in the same place, would a search engine notice the difference? There's probably something really fundamental that'll stop this from working, and as I say, I know bugger all about CGI, but that does seem like a solution, albeit a worryingly simple one. :lol:
N/A

Yep, and it is what's been suggested - but apparently it would cuase many hits to the platform for people that have not activated their account etc. on the new server...
N/A

ok so why not give people the ability to add the cgi DNS record pointing to the new server themselves?! The old records are going to be obselete anyway when the old server is shut down!!