cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cgi / ccgi

N/A

cgi / ccgi

Hi, just seen the e-mail about the old service being removed on Wednesday.
Once this happens, will cgi.mydomain.force9.co.uk automatically point to the new cgi server or will the new server still be ccgi.mydomain.force9.co.uk.
If it does point to the new server, will ccgi still point to the new server as well, or will that just disappear?
Thanks
Leigh
15 REPLIES
ade
Dabbler

cgi / ccgi

From what I have eventually understood from a post in http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5618 things need not be changed. However I still have to access my phpBB forum using ccgi and not the cgi as usual. Would be nice to see a notice from Support.
N/A

cgi / ccgi

That's what I thought but this afternoon on checking I notice that the old cgi has been removed and my domain is pointing to thin ar. I see F9 have managed to f#ck this up as well, wonderful :twisted:

Mark
N/A

cgi / ccgi

Come on F9 and other cgi users. I can't be the only one this is effecting, or am I the odd one out?

7 hours later and still nothing. This is not good enough.

Mark
Marteknet
Grafter

cgi / ccgi

I think you will find that the cgi server is no more, The correct server is now ccgi
scripts should have been move there and tested by the domain owners before the old server was decommissioned.
N/A

cgi / ccgi

I am aware of that but if you read the quote below you will see why I was referring to the ccgi server as the cgi server.

The CCGI address is only whilst the old server is active, once the
old server is removed the cgi.username.com will work (assuming it is setup).

I am sorry that this was not explained before.

Regards,

Marteknet
Grafter

cgi / ccgi

The CCGI address is only whilst the old server is active, once the
old server is removed the cgi.username.com will work (assuming it is setup).

I am sorry that this was not explained before.

Regards,

Well that's just a load of trash, how on earth are people to test scripts on the new server if after the change over the ccgi server is renamed to cgi. it would mean going through all the scripts again and changing every ccgi back to a cgi.
More likely the person who answered your question didn't themselves have a clear understanding of what the consequences of changeover of servers really meant to customers scripts and the overall effect on the structure of websites and script linkage.
N/A

cgi / ccgi

That's as maybe, but unfortunately I still believe things which are told to me by CS (some of the time), especially when my understanding of the particular service in question is not exactly top notch. This wasn't a reply to me but a quote from another thread and I recognise the name as a CS person.

That said, a manual tweak of the DNS settings and the domain is now resolving to ccgi.

Mark
Marteknet
Grafter

cgi / ccgi

Mark I am pleased to hear you got things sorted in the end.
Just how long did it take to sort out your problem?, I expect others reading this post are wondering the same.
N/A

cgi / ccgi

I noticed the problem on Thursday afternoon. The old site had been receiving hits until 14.28, but when I got home around 1630ish the site wasn't there. I made a couple of postings to the +Net newsgroup quoting the quote I used earlier and I also raised a ticket. At about 2100 I had received a lot of negative feedback about how pointing to a sub domain (which ccgi is apparently) was not possible. I also looked in the domain names area of the portal and figured that if the current dns settings showed cgi.force9.net, then it stood to reason that the new path should be ccgi.force9.net and changed it. I also then sent off a further entry on the ticket stating that the service was poor.

At about 1500 yesterday (Friday 23rd) there was a response from CS stating that they had corrected my mistake on the dns records as I had failed to use a full stop at the end of ccgi.force9.net and that the dns would take 24 hours to resolve correctly. I replied to that asking if they could confirm that meant the domain would point to the ccgi space to which I am still awaiting a rersponse. That really isn't an issue now though as this morning the site was working correctly.

Regards

Mark
Marteknet
Grafter

cgi / ccgi

Cheers Mark.

I was just wondering about it all. What I find hard to understand is why force9 hasn't written a step by step guide for people who have been affected by the change of cgi server.

I know force9 said that the servers were to be run in tandem so people had time to test the scripts would run correctly on the new ccgi server, but there is very little info on how to setup the DNS to make things run as painlessly as possible. What I mean is that force9 must know the common issues and mistakes made by users when doing such things as setting DNS fields, the missing full-stop being a favorite one. If I recall correctly a ticket has to be raised to customer support to action any advanced DNS setting changes as well. Why wasn't there a tutorial written on this subject, it would have saved customers a lot of trouble, minimized web site downtime, lightened the load on customer support and lastly not made force9 look bad in the eyes of potential new customers.

A little bit for forward planning would be nice for any such issues in the future.
N/A

cgi / ccgi

A little bit for forward planning would be nice for any such issues in the future.

I think we have more chance of hell freezing over Wink

Mark
N/A

Does php only work on the ccgi server

What it is ive got a Coppermine photo gallery. It was all hosted on the cgi server. Now that its gone across it doesnt seem to work. Basicly it all seems to be caused by these 2 lines in my .htaccess file:

php_flag display_errors on
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc On

As soon as i remove them 2 lines the site seems to work but my coppermine no longer does.

Any sugestions ?

Thanks

Sion
Marteknet
Grafter

cgi / ccgi

Hi Sion.

Take a look at these three links you may find the info you need there.

http://uk.php.net/configuration.changes

http://uk2.php.net/errorfunc

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.php

I hope this is of some help to you.

Peter
ade
Dabbler

cgi / ccgi

Latest from Customer Support:

We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support
Centre has now returned ticket number [ x ] to yourself.

The following comment was added to the ticket
Dear Mr _,
The value will stay at CCGI and was never planned to change back to CGI.

Regards,

Mark Poole

Great! Anyone know how to easily edit records on the MySQL server? I need to change a value in a phpBB table as I currently cannot get to the admin section to adminster the forum.