cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broken bones - collar in particular

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I broke mine this morning on way home from work and x-ray shows a nice mashed section of it. Now question to those that have broken it as well.

I work in a physically demanding[warehouse dispatch] job and I am off sick atm obviously. Now the doctor said the recovery time is around 3-6 weeks in general, but for active work if you ever where in the same position, how long before you where able again to work?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

hmm should have googled first.

You must not play contact sports for at least three months

I guess thats me out of work for 2-3 months in warehousing
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
glyndev
Grafter

Rather than lose so much money throgh not working see if thre is any chance of returning on light duties when the break is healed.

If they cannot accomodate you don't go back.And don't let them put pressure on you to return.
N/A

Indeed. Offer in wirtting to return to light duties.

Even if leave has to be extended beyond three months, there refusal to allow this will go against them.
Community Veteran

Well thanks for the advice, but light duities are out as there are none for this job and I know the other dept's in the Co. are full. So looks like i'll be off for a week and see what's to happen after a checkup next week.
glyndev
Grafter

Also do not let them put you under pressure to start back until your doctor feels that you are ready to do so.

A friend had same, went back to work after about 5 weeks, on sick again within 3 days, Operation to have it pinned, 3 months before pin was removed, Off work 7 months total.

Rest it and take it easy Cheesy
Community Veteran

Yeah taxi driver I got to A&E had that problem 4 months ago he went back to work after a month and needed a further 2 months and now has mobilty problems with anything above head height. So just wanted to confirm what he told me of his horror story
N/A

This might be worth checking out, some years ago when I worked at Qualcast Garden Products. They had company insurance that covered you for accidents at work as well as traveling to and returning home from work. It covered such items like loss of earnings, medical and legal expenses.
A long shot I know, but worth asking about if you are out of pocket through your misfortune.
N/A

I broke mine playing football a year back, It's still not right. I can't move my left arm to the side of my head, and the bone has a bit split just at the end of it...like so..

An impression of me trying to put my arms at the side of my head:
Community Veteran

Learnt a valuable lesson tonight, never bothered to take the t-shirt off I was wearing when it happened. So if like me you managed to get home before going to the hospital and are wearing a pull-over top etc, then get a button up or zip fronted top and get the pull-over top removed at the hospital if you don't have help at home.

As getting a t-shirt off with no-one to help and with the least amount of pain takes a good 10 mins
N/A

rbently, are those diagrams real x-rays or just really good drawings Cheesy
N/A

lol :lol:
Community Veteran

never been one for taking pills but another lesson, pain killer side effects can be worse than the pain of the bones healing.

At the moment as I'm not getting much pain just swelling around the bones when they shift/rub, so I'm only taking neurofen but had to stop with stomach cramps which hurts a lot worse than my shoulder.
N/A

You're right about pain killers, I'm off work with sciatica and on Codeine Phosphate tablets. they really bung you up big time. I think I now know what it feels like to give birth. :x
Alecto
Grafter

Radian B spray is often as effective for short term pain relief as Nurofen , Co codamol or the like, with none of the side effects (apart from the menthol smell).

Ibuprofen gel is also good, but you do have the risk of stomach problems as with Nurofen tablets.