cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any plumbers out there

N/A

any plumbers out there

hi i need a bit of advice i have a mira shower i switch it on and the low pressure light comes on and no water comes out i switch it on again 20 mins later and the shower works for about 30 seconds then cuts its self off any advice would be of great help
10 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

any plumbers out there

I reckon you might have a build up of limescale either in the handset or a pipe filter which will cause the syptoms you describe, unscrew the handset & turn it on & see how it flows, if still slow then you need to look elsewhere
N/A

any plumbers out there

it is also flashing the service light now
shellsong
Grafter

any plumbers out there

Phhhhhhht! 'Oo installed that there mate! They never oughta dun it like that there-- might be able ter fit yer in next week but it'll cost yer! :roll: :lol:
N/A

Re: any plumbers out there

the shower works for about 30 seconds then cuts its self off, any advice would be of great help

Have a bath
Denzil
Grafter

any plumbers out there

Try here

http://www.mirashowers.com/cgi-bin/contactmira.pl

They should be able to help.
N/A

any plumbers out there

Does it work at full pressure if you put it on the coldest setting?
If not, could be the filter (take it off the wall to clean - ask if you want instructions)
If it works fine without the heater being on, its probably that, I think they work by slowing down the water to ensure that it gets sufficiently heated, so if the element is busted that could cause problems?

Mine did something similar, and in frustration I bought another and fitted it, so I'll be watching for expert advice/solutions!!

(PS I ain't a plumber, so don't do anything just on my advice...)
jabb0
Grafter

any plumbers out there

um electric n water, shud ya not be gettin someone who is qualified to play with it.

Our uncle fitted ours and although no one has been electrimicuted yet, i still get the hell in and out as fast as i can, its making funny noises now and i get soooo paranoid when im standing in the nip feeling so vunerable.
N/A

any plumbers out there

Leccy and H2O are not good bedmates (or showermates for that matter)
Not that they don't get on, rather that they get on too well.... like a house on fire (sorry) and every time they have a party it goes with a bang (sorry again)
Perhaps for all but the most competent DIY'ers you are right that a Plumber or Electrician should be consulted.
N/A

any plumbers out there

More than once I've come across showers that people have sparred of the upstairs power ring main. :roll:
A minimum of 6mm2 cable should be taken directly from the consumer unit, 10mm2 if the cable route requires it. Obvisouly with a suitable switch between the consumer unit and shower Smiley
Wiring up or repairing a shower is the one job that should be done by someone who knows what they are doing, If only to have the earth continuity properly checked. Though there are other good reasons to spend money and have it done safely
pimpernel
Grafter

any plumbers out there

Make darned sure you've got appropriate heavy duty cable all the way from fuse box (Connection boxes on this sort of supply are NOT recommended), a substantial circuit breaker and a twin dipole (? - switch that cuts off both negative and positive leads) on wall outside the shower room. They aren't cheap, but how much is your life worth?
If you are working on shower, switch off the power at the fuse box AND the wall switch. You will then still be alive if somebody actually IS stupid enough to turn on the wall switch without realising you are holding the other end of the wire!
Re your current problem - is the stop-tap for water supply to shower turned FULLY on?