cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'always on connection'

N/A

'always on connection'

i have been a subscriber to F9 since last September and i have the ADSL Home Self install pack.
my problem is that the line NEVER stays On for more than 1 day! if i am downloading overnight or when i am out of the house, i usually come back to find that the connection as gone down. in most cases i reconnect automatically, but after 20 attempts it just waits for me to reconnect the line on my return. i have on many occassions contacted F9 and followed there advice to reconnect the splitters or/and other devices but i still can't achieve an "aleays on" connection. does anyone out there have any suggestions or comments on simular experiences and how they overcame the problem?

Regards
Doug
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 'always on connection'

> i have been a subscriber to F9 since last September and i have the ADSL Home Self install pack.
> my problem is that the line NEVER stays On for more than 1 day! if i am downloading overnight or when i am out of the house, i usually come back to find that the connection as gone down. in most cases i reconnect automatically, but after 20 attempts it just waits for me to reconnect the line on my return. i have on many occassions contacted F9 and followed there advice to reconnect the splitters or/and other devices but i still can't achieve an "aleays on" connection. does anyone out there have any suggestions or comments on simular experiences and how they overcame the problem?
>
> Regards
> Doug

Dear Doug,
In response to your comments about the nature of ADSL, well I have had ADSL with F9 since last summer and I had teething problems when my connection was first activated but they have settled down nicely now. However, I would say this too you and anyone else who reads this. ADSL is wildly over hyped in terms of how it is advertised on TV or in the press & it makes me angry that it is described as "always on", this is infact NOT the truth!!. ADSL should I beleive be more accurately described as "ALMOST ALWAYS ON"!!!!.

Look I think of ADSL as a young technology that sits between a 56K dialup modem type connection and a high speed LAN connection type,ADSL can be put up & torn down as required and has similarities to dialup because if your using an ADSL modem then thats effectively what you are doing i.e.making a dialup ADSL connection (but there is no actual phone number as such of course).

Just to let you know that since I've had my F9 ADSL connection the longest unbroken connection has been 14 consecutive days & most of my logs show very similar durations 10,11,12 days etc.

The stability & duration of an ADSL conection is related to a whole host of variable factors such as how far away you live to the exchange,the kit you are using (modem or router),the OS of your system,line quality & line noise,the gain of your line and so forth.

Ivan
--
N/A

thank you Ivan for your time and the information. But could i ask you one question?
Where would be the best place to start checking out the problem areas?
i have a modem for example and i run XP Pro, live less than 4 miles from the exchange, i also run Zone Alarm Pro, could that also be a factor?
And finally how do i have my line quality etc checked, F9 tell me BT won't do it unless they ask them to do so?
Regards Doug

> > i have been a subscriber to F9 since last September and i have the ADSL Home Self install pack.
> > my problem is that the line NEVER stays On for more than 1 day! if i am downloading overnight or when i am out of the house, i usually come back to find that the connection as gone down. in most cases i reconnect automatically, but after 20 attempts it just waits for me to reconnect the line on my return. i have on many occassions contacted F9 and followed there advice to reconnect the splitters or/and other devices but i still can't achieve an "aleays on" connection. does anyone out there have any suggestions or comments on simular experiences and how they overcame the problem?
> >
> > Regards
> > Doug
>
> Dear Doug,
> In response to your comments about the nature of ADSL, well I have had ADSL with F9 since last summer and I had teething problems when my connection was first activated but they have settled down nicely now. However, I would say this too you and anyone else who reads this. ADSL is wildly over hyped in terms of how it is advertised on TV or in the press & it makes me angry that it is described as "always on", this is infact NOT the truth!!. ADSL should I beleive be more accurately described as "ALMOST ALWAYS ON"!!!!.
>
> Look I think of ADSL as a young technology that sits between a 56K dialup modem type connection and a high speed LAN connection type,ADSL can be put up & torn down as required and has similarities to dialup because if your using an ADSL modem then thats effectively what you are doing i.e.making a dialup ADSL connection (but there is no actual phone number as such of course).
>
> Just to let you know that since I've had my F9 ADSL connection the longest unbroken connection has been 14 consecutive days & most of my logs show very similar durations 10,11,12 days etc.
>
> The stability & duration of an ADSL conection is related to a whole host of variable factors such as how far away you live to the exchange,the kit you are using (modem or router),the OS of your system,line quality & line noise,the gain of your line and so forth.
>
> Ivan
>
> --
>

N/A

> thank you Ivan for your time and the information. But could i ask you one question?
> Where would be the best place to start checking out the problem areas?
> i have a modem for example and i run XP Pro, live less than 4 miles from the exchange, i also run Zone Alarm Pro, could that also be a factor?
> And finally how do i have my line quality etc checked, F9 tell me BT won't do it unless they ask them to do so?
> Regards Doug
>
> > > i have been a subscriber to F9 since last September and i have the ADSL Home Self install pack.
> > > my problem is that the line NEVER stays On for more than 1 day! if i am downloading overnight or when i am out of the house, i usually come back to find that the connection as gone down. in most cases i reconnect automatically, but after 20 attempts it just waits for me to reconnect the line on my return. i have on many occassions contacted F9 and followed there advice to reconnect the splitters or/and other devices but i still can't achieve an "aleays on" connection. does anyone out there have any suggestions or comments on simular experiences and how they overcame the problem?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Doug
> >
> > Dear Doug,
> > In response to your comments about the nature of ADSL, well I have had ADSL with F9 since last summer and I had teething problems when my connection was first activated but they have settled down nicely now. However, I would say this too you and anyone else who reads this. ADSL is wildly over hyped in terms of how it is advertised on TV or in the press & it makes me angry that it is described as "always on", this is infact NOT the truth!!. ADSL should I beleive be more accurately described as "ALMOST ALWAYS ON"!!!!.
> >
> > Look I think of ADSL as a young technology that sits between a 56K dialup modem type connection and a high speed LAN connection type,ADSL can be put up & torn down as required and has similarities to dialup because if your using an ADSL modem then thats effectively what you are doing i.e.making a dialup ADSL connection (but there is no actual phone number as such of course).
> >
> > Just to let you know that since I've had my F9 ADSL connection the longest unbroken connection has been 14 consecutive days & most of my logs show very similar durations 10,11,12 days etc.
> >
> > The stability & duration of an ADSL conection is related to a whole host of variable factors such as how far away you live to the exchange,the kit you are using (modem or router),the OS of your system,line quality & line noise,the gain of your line and so forth.
> >
> > Ivan
> >
> > --
> >
>
>

Dear Doug,
OK to try and answer some of the points you asked about: firstly check to make sure that you have your OS correctly installed (I know that sounds corny but you'd be amazed at how many people dont have the actual OS installed correctly) & that it's installed on the correct specification hardware i.e. minumum hardware requirements or preferably above the minimum spec,etc. Next ensure you have all the latest critical windows XP Pro updates.

Re:Zone Alarm (switch this off whilst your just testing your system & the connection)once you have a good quality connection switch ZA back on ASAP.
Doing this will also help you see if ZA is getting in the way of your connection i.e.screwing it up. But if ZA is installed correctly & configured correctly it shgould be fine and NOT cause any problems.

**Another point to mention here,switch off Microsofts built in firewall that comes with XP Pro its dreadful I didnt like it at all. You can do this by going into the services applet and scrolling down until you find the firewall service and then disable it.

**RE: Your phone line, as a normal BT customer with an ADSL enabled phone line your perfectly entitled to contact (phone up BT's DSL team)I have done this on numerious occations and ask them if they could kindly check your line? ask them to check for line noise,check the balance of the line, and finally ask them to check the gain on your line. My line had alot of line noise and BT adjusted the gain on my line and it made a noticable difference in terms of reduced dropped connections.

**RE: your modem or router,please check the makers website as the latest drivers might be required for XP Pro and this can also have a big effect on stability of connection. It did in my case with XPP.

IF you follow through on all these things logically then the results should be an improvement in your connection quality.

Hope this helps,best regards
Ivan

--