cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl networking at home - need help

N/A

I currently have my laptop connected to dsl via a dynamode USB modem - quite simply ( or is it!) I want to connect my wifes laptop also so that she can access the internet at the same time. I would like to do this using wireless technology. Both laptops have PCMCIA slots - How do I do it? - and what do I need to buy? - please help if you can.

THX

Geoffrey
3 REPLIES
N/A

The easyest way is to create an ad-hoc wireless network. Basically htis means that you need two PCMIA 11MBps Wirless cards (known as Wi-Fi, or 802.11b). Simply install one in each laptop and set them both to ad-hoc modeand they should "find" each other. I use a Netgear MA401(£34.07 each from Dabs.com).
Don't bother paying more for a 802.11g (54MBps) card unless you want to share large files between the two laptops. The speed of ypur broadband connection is far less than 11MB/s so speeds above this are wasted.
You will need to enable internet connection sharing on the lap top the modem is connected to. (If you are running XP then it has a wizard to take you through the process). You will also have to have this laptop running for the other to be able to connect to the internet.

To have them operating independantly you will require a wireless router ( one that has a USB input if you save getting a new modem). Each laptop can then access the internet via the router, which has the added bonus of a built in Firewall.

Rich
N/A

THX Rich - you are a star!!

Geoff
N/A

To have them operating independantly you will require a wireless router ( one that has a USB input if you save getting a new modem). Each laptop can then access the internet via the router, which has the added bonus of a built in Firewall.

My router is the best thing I ever bought for the internet....very easy to use and much better than the internet sharing software in Windows. If you want wireless, then get the Netgear D824M

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=165

or non wireless, get the one I have:

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodid=136