cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl connection problems

N/A

adsl connection problems

I have been tearing my hair out and badgering F9 trying to get consistent adsl connection. I get connected and then the line goes down. The best I have had is three days. The worst just a few seconds. No real pattern exists. All the usual fixes have been tried with microfilters, modem change, pci slot change etc. When it's connected it works superbly well but then it cuts out. I reckon there is some problem with the BT line which is being looked at as I type. (I hope) I am running XP Pro. Anybody got any suggestions.

Regards

Frank
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: adsl connection problems

> I have been tearing my hair out and badgering F9 trying to get consistent adsl connection. I get connected and then the line goes down. The best I have had is three days. The worst just a few seconds. No real pattern exists. All the usual fixes have been tried with microfilters, modem change, pci slot change etc. When it's connected it works superbly well but then it cuts out. I reckon there is some problem with the BT line which is being looked at as I type. (I hope) I am running XP Pro. Anybody got any suggestions.
>
> Regards
>
> Frank

Hi Frank,
I had problems with dropped ADSL connections when I first had my ADSL line installed & activated. The line seemed to suffer from excessive noise, I did several things which are similar to the things you've already done. 1) checked the microfilters 2)updated my ADSL modem drivers for XP(D-Link DSL200 USB modem)to the latest version. 3)I had BT test,re-balance my line which involved BT adjusting the gain on my line. All of these things did add up and there was a noticable improvement in stability but especially with the newer device drivers for XP.

*Just to give you some form of comparison the longest connection duration I've had on ADSL since I've been connected is 14days without a single dropped connection.

*You have to understand that the way ADSL broadband is described by BT and other telco's is very misleading I think. Its NOT always on!! it should more truthfully be described as ALMOST ALWAYS ON!!.

--
N/A

> > I have been tearing my hair out and badgering F9 trying to get consistent adsl connection. I get connected and then the line goes down. The best I have had is three days. The worst just a few seconds. No real pattern exists. All the usual fixes have been tried with microfilters, modem change, pci slot change etc. When it's connected it works superbly well but then it cuts out. I reckon there is some problem with the BT line which is being looked at as I type. (I hope) I am running XP Pro. Anybody got any suggestions.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Frank
>
> Hi Frank,
> I had problems with dropped ADSL connections when I first had my ADSL line installed & activated. The line seemed to suffer from excessive noise, I did several things which are similar to the things you've already done. 1) checked the microfilters 2)updated my ADSL modem drivers for XP(D-Link DSL200 USB modem)to the latest version. 3)I had BT test,re-balance my line which involved BT adjusting the gain on my line. All of these things did add up and there was a noticable improvement in stability but especially with the newer device drivers for XP.
>
> *Just to give you some form of comparison the longest connection duration I've had on ADSL since I've been connected is 14days without a single dropped connection.
>
> *You have to understand that the way ADSL broadband is described by BT and other telco's is very misleading I think. Its NOT always on!! it should more truthfully be described as ALMOST ALWAYS ON!!.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Thanks Ivan. I have e-mailed dynamode hoping thet might have a more up to date driver. Although this modem was only installed 2 days ago. By the way, what did you think of the service from customer support?

Regards

Frank Yippee got this in before it cut me off

N/A

> > > I have been tearing my hair out and badgering F9 trying to get consistent adsl connection. I get connected and then the line goes down. The best I have had is three days. The worst just a few seconds. No real pattern exists. All the usual fixes have been tried with microfilters, modem change, pci slot change etc. When it's connected it works superbly well but then it cuts out. I reckon there is some problem with the BT line which is being looked at as I type. (I hope) I am running XP Pro. Anybody got any suggestions.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Frank
> >
> > Hi Frank,
> > I had problems with dropped ADSL connections when I first had my ADSL line installed & activated. The line seemed to suffer from excessive noise, I did several things which are similar to the things you've already done. 1) checked the microfilters 2)updated my ADSL modem drivers for XP(D-Link DSL200 USB modem)to the latest version. 3)I had BT test,re-balance my line which involved BT adjusting the gain on my line. All of these things did add up and there was a noticable improvement in stability but especially with the newer device drivers for XP.
> >
> > *Just to give you some form of comparison the longest connection duration I've had on ADSL since I've been connected is 14days without a single dropped connection.
> >
> > *You have to understand that the way ADSL broadband is described by BT and other telco's is very misleading I think. Its NOT always on!! it should more truthfully be described as ALMOST ALWAYS ON!!.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Thanks Ivan. I have e-mailed dynamode hoping thet might have a more up to date driver. Although this modem was only installed 2 days ago. By the way, what did you think of the service from customer support?
>
> Regards
>
> Frank Yippee got this in before it cut me off
>
>

Hi Frank,
Yes! let me know how you get on with dynamode and newer drivers (some vendors are quicker to release newer drivers than others of course,especially were winXP is concerned). I didnt have any problems with F9 support but thats because I researched ADSL & the related hardware ages before moving over from a 56K modem dialup to braodband. So I had very little need of F9 support most of the problems I had I was able to solve/resolve myself through my own efforts.

**Frank I always copy & paste this text so if you get cut off my the portal time out you can just paste your reply back once you've logged back in again. Yes! I've been caute out so many time bye this in the past.

--
N/A

Frank - I sufferd completed downtime (5days) with BT openworld during the early days. Probably a totaly different issue but in the end I (yes I afer 15 hours of call to the HD at what ever rate they charge) proved it was the line - BTO said 48hr response time for a BT eng. I got onto 151 ant told them my harrowing story (this was after 21:00). Next morning I had a BT eng at my house (10:30) he had replaced a card (don't remember which one) at the exchange and I was straight in.....
It's always possible....
--
Power to the MAX