cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl and modem connection at same time?

N/A

Is it possible to make a dial up modem connection at the same time as being active online with an adsl connection - using different accounts on different computers?

I have done some searching on the web but so far have only turned up a FAQ which says this can't be done on the SAME machine....

Thanks, Rosemary
5 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

HI Rosemary,

This is certainly possible, although you may get a slightly slower dial up connection than you would have were you not using ADSL.

Have you considered networking your computers?

Regards,
N/A

I've used the technique Rosemary's interested in -- at one point I was running a web server on my home network, and I wanted it to be accessible from the Internet at large. Even though my machines are networked together, I used a dial-up account on one of the other PCs (ie not the one running the web server) to test access to my web server. So I was routing from the other PC across to ISP-X, from ISP-X to Force9, from Force9 to my ADSL router, from the ADSL router to the web server machine. Similarly for responses from the web server, the default route on its host took traffic back through the ADSL router -> Force9 -> ISP-X -> my second PC.

Because I use an ADSL router, on any given PC the normal default route specifies the IP address of the LAN interface of my router. If I then activate a dial-up connection on one of the PCs, my normal default route is temporarily overuled by a new one pointing out across the dial-up connection. Therefore, while the analogue modem is active, traffic from that PC will go to and fro across the modem rather than across my network to the ADSL router. However, by specifically adding route definitions to the routing table on that PC, I could, if I wanted to, cause some traffic -- to the networks/hosts I specified in the routes I'd added -- to route via the ADSL connection while the default route (used by other traffic) would still be across the analogue modem. So it is, in fact, possible to use ADSL and analogue on the SAME PC, although it's a bit more work to arrange it. Normally, the dial-up connection takes over when it is active (by virtue of the fact that it changes the default route for the duration that it is active) and everything goes back to normal again when the dial-up connection is closed.
N/A

HI Rosemary,

This is certainly possible, although you may get a slightly slower dial up connection than you would have were you not using ADSL.

Regards,

Ian yes I have! We have already got an (old (??10 base T??) ethernet network in place but it is only used now for linking my husband's two PCs. I no longer use or need access to it but obviously we will have to set something up again if he wants to share the adsl connection when I (hopefully) upgrade in October.

But I also wanted to ensure that my husband's compuserve account on his laptop could still be used (with me online) if he wanted to keep it.

I am currently investigating routers.

Thanks, Rosemary
N/A

I've used the technique Rosemary's interested in -- at one point I was running a web server on my home network, and I wanted it to be accessible from the Internet at large. Even though my machines are networked together, I used a dial-up account on one of the other PCs (ie not the one running the web server) to test access to my web server. So I was routing from the other PC across to ISP-X, from ISP-X to Force9, from Force9 to my ADSL router, from the ADSL router to the web server machine. Similarly for responses from the web server, the default route on its host took traffic back through the ADSL router -> Force9 -> ISP-X -> my second PC.

My brain is going round in circles! :lol:

You've given me further food for thought as I also run a test web server on my PC. I've had idle thoughts about running a live one, but have never gor as far as considering the test side of things! I have a friend who runs a successful forum from a server in her spare bedroom; the whole setup was a Chrstmas present from her tecchie son a couple of years back - he actually keeps things under control for her though...
Rosemary
N/A

I am currently investigating routers.

A good move!