cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom 5510 ADSL modem

N/A

Zoom 5510 ADSL modem

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. Since installing the Zoom 5510 modem I am unable to shutdown the computer, it begins to shut down then just hangs on a black screen and I have to switch off manually.
I,m using WindowsME and as far as I am aware the drivers supplied are up to date.
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Zoom 5510 ADSL modem

> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. Since installing the Zoom 5510 modem I am unable to shutdown the computer, it begins to shut down then just hangs on a black screen and I have to switch off manually.
> I,m using WindowsME and as far as I am aware the drivers supplied are up to date.

----------------------------------------------------
Get the latest drivers from zooms website solves that problem Smiley
N/A

> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. Since installing the Zoom 5510 modem I am unable to shutdown the computer, it begins to shut down then just hangs on a black screen and I have to switch off manually.
> I,m using WindowsME and as far as I am aware the drivers supplied are up to date.

Update:
I have now solved this problem thanks to the Zoom tech support team. If anyone else comes across this problem, here's the solution:

Response (Zoom German Tech Support) 08/12/2002 07:52 AM
Hi

Uninstall the ADSL and when you boot up take it out of the back of the PC. When you
reinstall it you get an option to select 'Self install' or 'Other'. Go for the 'Other'
option and select the 'WAN' driver. After that you just carry on as normal.

Regards
N/A

> > Hi,
> > I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. Since installing the Zoom 5510 modem I am unable to shutdown the computer, it begins to shut down then just hangs on a black screen and I have to switch off manually.
> > I,m using WindowsME and as far as I am aware the drivers supplied are up to date.
>
> Update:
> I have now solved this problem thanks to the Zoom tech support team. If anyone else comes across this problem, here's the solution:
>
> Response (Zoom German Tech Support) 08/12/2002 07:52 AM
> Hi
>
> Uninstall the ADSL and when you boot up take it out of the back of the PC. When you
> reinstall it you get an option to select 'Self install' or 'Other'. Go for the 'Other'
> option and select the 'WAN' driver. After that you just carry on as normal.
>
> Regards
>

----------------------------------------------
Also my solution of "downloading the LATEST drivers from Zooms website" will work too as the drivers supplied with the modem are the problem as i had the same problem and thats how i fixed mine Smiley
N/A

> Also my solution of "downloading the LATEST drivers from Zooms website" will work too as the drivers supplied with the modem are the problem as i had the same problem and thats how i fixed mine Smiley
>
Hi Britbrat,
thanks for the advice, of course checking that the drivers are the most up to date version should always be the first thing to try, interestingly though, when I did this on the Zoom site it stated that the driver available for download was the same as was shipped with the modem and not an update.
Therefore I didn't download it and had to assume that the problem lay elsewhere.
N/A

If you want the windows XP drivers for the zoom modem the only way to get them is to call the support line then the email them to you. I had the same probs as you too..
N/A

Clueless:

Personally, I salute you! The instructions provided from Germany would have left me clueless! What on earth do they mean by this:

1: "Uninstall the ADSL ..."

Do they mean the modem, or software? I guess they mean the modem, so I'd also guess that since the machine wouldn't power down, you've had to force it off manually. OK, so now you've got the modem out.

2: "...and when you boot up take it out of the back of the PC."

Hang on, that must mean hardware, and we took that out in (1). So at (1) they must have meant "uninstall the software". So we'll stick the modem back in the machine, boot up, uninstall the software, force the machine down, boot up again, now we can "take it out of the back of the PC".

With the PC running? Surely not!

3: "When you reinstall it you get an option to select 'Self install' or 'Other'. Go for the 'Other' option and select the 'WAN' driver."

Now which "it" are we talking about reinstalling? We've just taken an "it" "out of the back of the PC" so perhaps we're talking about the same "it". But how come the options for 'Self install' and 'Other', and 'WAN' drivers? - all that is obviously software, so they must be talking about reinstalling the software.

4: "After that you just carry on as normal."

The whole business was a bit of a "Carry-On" if you ask me.

So when did we put the modem back in the machine? Is that what they meant by "carry on as normal" - as you were before you ever had the silly thing?

I think those instructions were nothing short of appalling! I'm glad you understood them!

As it happens, I don't have a Zoom modem, so this doesn't affect me, but I don't think you received very good support from the Germans.

N/A

You're going to tell me that the Zoom modem is a USB modem, not an internal modem (as I'd guessed from reading "take it out of the back of the PC" - which I now imagine means "disconnect the modem from the PC").

I still think the instructions were poor and not particularly methodical. You don't get the impression the person writing them had actually carried out the procedure himself, because otherwise he would have realised just how ambiguous it all is.
N/A

> You're going to tell me that the Zoom modem is a USB modem, not an internal modem (as I'd guessed from reading "take it out of the back of the PC" - which I now imagine means "disconnect the modem from the PC").
>
> I still think the instructions were poor and not particularly methodical. You don't get the impression the person writing them had actually carried out the procedure himself, because otherwise he would have realised just how ambiguous it all is.
>
Hi,
yes I suppose the instructions are not particularly clear. What they were saying basically was uninstall the modem(yes it is USB), there are clear instructions for this in the manual supplied, then reinstall selecting 'Other..' from the install menu then 'WAN' from the next menu and the installation then carries on as normal.

Hope that makes more sense!
N/A

> Clueless:
>
> Personally, I salute you! The instructions provided from Germany would have left me clueless! What on earth do they mean by this:
>
> 1: "Uninstall the ADSL ..."
>
> Do they mean the modem, or software? I guess they mean the modem, so I'd also guess that since the machine wouldn't power down, you've had to force it off manually. OK, so now you've got the modem out.
>
> 2: "...and when you boot up take it out of the back of the PC."
>
> Hang on, that must mean hardware, and we took that out in (1). So at (1) they must have meant "uninstall the software". So we'll stick the modem back in the machine, boot up, uninstall the software, force the machine down, boot up again, now we can "take it out of the back of the PC".
>
> With the PC running? Surely not!
>
> 3: "When you reinstall it you get an option to select 'Self install' or 'Other'. Go for the 'Other' option and select the 'WAN' driver."
>
> Now which "it" are we talking about reinstalling? We've just taken an "it" "out of the back of the PC" so perhaps we're talking about the same "it". But how come the options for 'Self install' and 'Other', and 'WAN' drivers? - all that is obviously software, so they must be talking about reinstalling the software.
>
>
> 4: "After that you just carry on as normal."
>
> The whole business was a bit of a "Carry-On" if you ask me.
>
>
> So when did we put the modem back in the machine? Is that what they meant by "carry on as normal" - as you were before you ever had the silly thing?
>
> I think those instructions were nothing short of appalling! I'm glad you understood them!
>
> As it happens, I don't have a Zoom modem, so this doesn't affect me, but I don't think you received very good support from the Germans.
>
>

----------------------------------------------------
Now your just nit pickin Tongue (even though it was as clear as mud)