cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zonealarm

N/A

Zonealarm

I have heard that the firewall Zonealarm free from download.com is good. Anyone with any comments please Also does anyone know if it works with XP. I did have Norton but had so much problems with it It wouldnt let me log on to a couple of sites I use in the US so I took it back to the shop in the end. Just wondered if this would be any better
Cheers Pam
11 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

RE: Zonealarm

It's not bad but it can be a pain to setup if you run VNC, FTP server ect, but i do know a few people who run it and they love it once they have set it up (they just did not like setting it up), Norton is good but i had problems with downloads (when the file was link via PHP), so i gave up as well. I am sure it works with XP..

cUnDaLl

N/A

> I have heard that the firewall Zonealarm free from download.com is good. Anyone with any comments please Also does anyone know if it works with XP. I did have Norton but had so much problems with it It wouldnt let me log on to a couple of sites I use in the US so I took it back to the shop in the end. Just wondered if this would be any better
> Cheers Pam

got the latest z/alarm with 98 no problems to set up practicaly automatic,got a firm to try an break in got A1 rating.:bandit:
Brickinit
Grafter

> I have heard that the firewall Zonealarm free from download.com is good. Anyone with any comments please Also does anyone know if it works with XP. I did have Norton but had so much problems with it It wouldnt let me log on to a couple of sites I use in the US so I took it back to the shop in the end. Just wondered if this would be any better
> Cheers Pam

i used to use zonealarm but like everyone else found it very fiddly to set up. i now use Outpost which is also a free download. i found it much easier to setup and it has more tools,it blocks annoying adverts for one thing, it can be downloaded from
http://www.agnitum.com/

i have checked it out on a couple of sites and it seems to be quite robust

malc

N/A

I know of zone alarm running OK on at least three machines, one of which is and XP notebook.

The XP is running Zone Alarm Pro on a DSL link in California.

The other two copies are free version on desk tops. One is running ME, the other I'm not sure of.

The free version is fine for simple use won't handle de-militarised zones etc of course.

Our business systems run Check Point. Generally thought to be a powerfull system, but far too complex for home use.

If you use Zone Alarm on a dial up dial (not DSL) it does have an annoying habit of dialing up on start up of the PC.
tssk
Grafter

I use Sygate Personal Firewall, on XP Pro.
I have used it for a couple of years, moving from 98 to ME and then XP...
Never had any trouble with it, easy set up etc and its free and it does a good job.

N/A

> > I have heard that the firewall Zonealarm free from download.com is good. Anyone with any comments please Also does anyone know if it works with XP. I did have Norton but had so much problems with it It wouldnt let me log on to a couple of sites I use in the US so I took it back to the shop in the end. Just wondered if this would be any better
> > Cheers Pam
>
> i used to use zonealarm but like everyone else found it very fiddly to set up. i now use Outpost which is also a free download. i found it much easier to setup and it has more tools,it blocks annoying adverts for one thing, it can be downloaded from
> http://www.agnitum.com/
>
> i have checked it out on a couple of sites and it seems to be quite robust
>
> malc
>
> H
I have just downloaded Outpost It looks simple enough. I asmume it starts protecting as soon as it is set up. It dosnt seem to slow the computer down like Norton did. Zonealarm didnt seem to do enough Ill sit and study it tomorrow when I havnt had a drink
Thanks for your help
Pam

N/A

> Cheers Pam

I started using ZA about a month ago when I got broadband. It works fine with XP. I have had no problems.
John

N/A

> Cheers Pam

Hi, I've used ZA on a couple of computers/systems over the last few years and would not use anything else. When i was living with my Ex girlfriend we had trouble with loads of Hackers and not a few Trolls ( including the Infamous UK, once the worst troll on the whole net!!!(booted from every ISP in existence!!)). in one form or another it can handle just about anything thrown at it.
Bar none it is the best firewall there is!!!
N/A

> > I have heard that the firewall Zonealarm free from download.com is good. Anyone with any comments please Also does anyone know if it works with XP. I did have Norton but had so much problems with it It wouldnt let me log on to a couple of sites I use in the US so I took it back to the shop in the end. Just wondered if this would be any better
> > Cheers Pam
>
> Hi, I've used ZA on a couple of computers/systems over the last few years and would not use anything else. When i was living with my Ex girlfriend we had trouble with loads of Hackers and not a few Trolls ( including the Infamous UK, once the worst troll on the whole net!!!(booted from every ISP in existence!!)). in one form or another it can handle just about anything thrown at it.
> Bar none it is the best firewall there is!!!

Is that the free version you are referring to or the one you pay for
Cheers
Pam

N/A

> Cheers Pam

Hi Pam I have used ZoneAlarm with both Windows 98se and then with Windows XP Professional running the Norton Anti Virus 2002 and had no problems with it at all.I downloaded it from the internet and it took minutes to install on both occassions and I did not find it fidly at all and I am not a computer techie.My partner also uses ZoneAlarm on a laptop with AVG 6.0 Anti Virus,which is also a free download from the internet.Again its running perfectly well with no problems to report.I have swopted over to the Norton Firewall 2003. simply because the free download is not a full program and as I wanted the works and would therefore have to pay for it,I decidded to go for the Norton Personal Firewall 2003.Go to www.cnet.com/ and www.zdnet.com/ for a full review of anything pc related and they have free downloads or go direct to Zonelabs at www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp the new full package of ZoneAlarm 3.5 is £31.00 and can be downloaded from this site.But the free download I used was great.

Hope this helps Pam but all I can suggest is to read up on all the Anti Virus and Personal Firewall programs available and compatible to your pc.

Good Luck Fiona
N/A

> Cheers Pam

Hi Pam I have used ZoneAlarm with both Windows 98se and then with Windows XP Professional running the Norton Anti Virus 2002 and had no problems with it at all.I downloaded it from the internet and it took minutes to install on both occassions and I did not find it fidly at all and I am not a computer techie.My partner also uses ZoneAlarm on a laptop with AVG 6.0 Anti Virus,which is also a free download from the internet.Again its running perfectly well with no problems to report.I have swopted over to the Norton Firewall 2003. simply because the free download is not a full program and as I wanted the works and would therefore have to pay for it,I decidded to go for the Norton Personal Firewall 2003.Go to www.cnet.com/ and www.zdnet.com/ for a full review of anything pc related and they have free downloads or go direct to Zonelabs at www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp the new full package of ZoneAlarm 3.5 is £31.00 and can be downloaded from this site as can the free download and this is where I got my ZoneAlarm from and the free download I used was great.

Hope this helps Pam but all I can suggest is to read up on all the Anti Virus and Personal Firewall programs available and compatible to your pc.

Good Luck Fiona