cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoneAlarm and Belkin routers

N/A

I have been running Zonealarm for quite some time now with no problems. Since installing a new router last week, a couple of problems have occurred, necessitating a disconnection of the router and reconnection.

Sometimes, I am unable to connect to the internet with a browser, although I am still able to receive email. Looking at the ZA icon, the red bar is a maximum, which I assume is incoming trffic? Has ZA stopped outgoing traffic because of this? If so, how do I prevent a regular recurrence?

Thanks

Mark
3 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Mark,

OK to try and answer your questions regarding ZA, (I have been using ZA for over 5 yrs now). A number of points come to mind about the situation you describe.

Point 1) incoming traffic showing as red should'nt by itself stop or block or prevent any outgoing traffic.

Point 2) Email traffic uses ports 25 for SMTP & port 110 for POP3 traffic, whilst your web browser will use Port 80 for HTTP traffic.

Point 3) So not being able to access the internet suggests that either port 80 has been blocked by ZA. So have a look in the applications/programs listing in ZA too see what permssions your browser has, it should be allow internet & allow to act as server too.

Point 4) If your Router has its own built in firewall and that firewall also uses the same security methods as ZA ( i.e. SPI that stateful packet inspection) there could possibly be some sort of conflict.

NO!! I'm NOT saying there definately is the case but that its one possibility. Therefore make sure that the firewall your router has must also allow ports 25 & 110 and especially port 80 i.e. web traffic. If the port 80 is closed in the router then YES! that might explain the fact of No! web access.

**So my best advise would be to check your routers firewall settings (port or port forwarding settings, or NAT settings). The router firewall should act like a pure glass pane, ie. allowing daylight to pass clearly through but block anything else thats NOT desirable. The firewall should be seemless and make no difference to your web services such as email, browsing etc.

**ZoneAlarm shouldnt be the problem if your router is correctly set-up, ZA on your local computers would act as a very sensible second line of defence against any attempts to compromise your network/system. ZA is just belt and braces if you like and YES! its worth having too.

Ivan
N/A

Hi Ivan

I have taken the drastic action of uninstalling ZA and re- installing it. Everything worked hunky dory when ZA was switched off and it is now working fine (touch wood) until next time Cheesy

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Thank goodness!! otherwise could have been a burning the midnight oil job?? :lol: :lol:

Cheers Ivan