cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Home and folder security

Cathotel
Grafter

XP Home and folder security

Horrified to find that my XP as a default is wide open as a barn door and any user logged in can see any other folder. I found this recently when creating a second test logon.
I have installed a second hard drive and formatted it as NTFS and the tab to select 'Make this folder private' is still not avaliable.
It seems the 'XP help' implies that only files/folders under the 'user profile' i.e. the C: drive can have this option and only if it's set to NTFS.
I believe I can change FAT32 to NTFS but that's a one way change?
All I want to do is have a folder that only I can see!!
Any help would be appreciated?
Cheers
Pete
9 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

RE: XP Home and folder security

If you put the folders which you wish to hide from other users in your documents "My Documents" then they will not be able to see them.

This works with XP PRO it should work in XP Home

cUnDaLl
Cathotel
Grafter

> If you put the folders which you wish to hide from other users in your documents "My Documents" then they will not be able to see them.
>
> This works with XP PRO it should work in XP Home
>
> cUnDaLl

Hi, yes that's what I thought but if I log in as this other user and open up 'My Computer' I can see 'Pete's Documents' and the 'Temp's Documents' and all is visible. Seems XP Home has a default 'simple sharing' set up which you can't override unless you boot up in 'Safe Mode' and force the security tab but can't find any details and don't want to lose the lot!
Cheers
Pete
chino
Grafter

> > If you put the folders which you wish to hide from other users in your documents "My Documents" then they will not be able to see them.
> >
> > This works with XP PRO it should work in XP Home
> >
> > cUnDaLl
>
> Hi, yes that's what I thought but if I log in as this other user and open up 'My Computer' I can see 'Pete's Documents' and the 'Temp's Documents' and all is visible. Seems XP Home has a default 'simple sharing' set up which you can't override unless you boot up in 'Safe Mode' and force the security tab but can't find any details and don't want to lose the lot!
> Cheers
> Pete

Did you set Pete as the Admin ? then the temp user as a guest user?

Thats how i did it, however i am not at home at the min so i can not guide you through each step.

Just check that both users are not Admin (if thats possable)

regards,

cUnDaLl
Cathotel
Grafter

> > > If you put the folders which you wish to hide from other users in your documents "My Documents" then they will not be able to see them.
> > >
> > > This works with XP PRO it should work in XP Home
> > >
> > > cUnDaLl
> >
> > Hi, yes that's what I thought but if I log in as this other user and open up 'My Computer' I can see 'Pete's Documents' and the 'Temp's Documents' and all is visible. Seems XP Home has a default 'simple sharing' set up which you can't override unless you boot up in 'Safe Mode' and force the security tab but can't find any details and don't want to lose the lot!
> > Cheers
> > Pete
>
> Did you set Pete as the Admin ? then the temp user as a guest user?
>
> Thats how i did it, however i am not at home at the min so i can not guide you through each step.
>
> Just check that both users are not Admin (if thats possable)
>
> regards,
>
> cUnDaLl

Yep, Pete is set as the administrator and Temp is a limited account which states it should only have access to files it created!!
The only thing i haven't tried is to enanble the 'guest' account and see what that does! i'll try that now.
Cheers,
Pete
chino
Grafter

ok we will all await your reply...

cUnDaLl
Cathotel
Grafter

> ok we will all await your reply...
>
> cUnDaLl

Unfortunately 'Guest' has the same full view so i'm now stumped. Tried deleting 'Temp' and re-booting and then re-created it and still has the same fulll view via the My Computer view.

All the help text in XP Home states that only NTFS will allow the use of 'Private folders' so guess I will have to convert somehow FAT32 to NTFS but that doesn't help with the new drive which is NTFS and the options still don't appear!

Thanks for all you suggestions so far.

Cheers,

Pete
chino
Grafter

ok..

i had a problem before which was where i wanted to access somone elses folders however i was not allowed. I got told how to do this and i am thinking if i can remember how to do this all you have to do is untick the boxes i ticked ect..

I am currently at the library, however when i get home i will try and remember and post you back the answer..

regards,

cUnDaLl
Cathotel
Grafter

> ok..
>
> i had a problem before which was where i wanted to access somone elses folders however i was not allowed. I got told how to do this and i am thinking if i can remember how to do this all you have to do is untick the boxes i ticked ect..
>
> I am currently at the library, however when i get home i will try and remember and post you back the answer..
>
> regards,
>
> cUnDaLl

Success! I can't believe the documentation in MS Help however if you boot up in start mode and log in as Pete (admin) and only in that mode do the extra security tab options appear where I have been able to remove all but Pete from access to the drive cascaded down to all folders etc.

It seems XP Pro allows you to unset the 'simple security' default mode via a check box but not in XP Home.

Many thanks for your time and effort.

Pete
Cathotel
Grafter

> > ok..
> >
> > i had a problem before which was where i wanted to access somone elses folders however i was not allowed. I got told how to do this and i am thinking if i can remember how to do this all you have to do is untick the boxes i ticked ect..
> >
> > I am currently at the library, however when i get home i will try and remember and post you back the answer..
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > cUnDaLl
>
> Success! I can't believe the documentation in MS Help however if you boot up in start mode and log in as Pete (admin) and only in that mode do the extra security tab options appear where I have been able to remove all but Pete from access to the drive cascaded down to all folders etc.
>
> It seems XP Pro allows you to unset the 'simple security' default mode via a check box but not in XP Home.
>
> Many thanks for your time and effort.
>
> Pete
>

Of course I meant 'Safe Mode'!!