cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIFOS Dsl

N/A

XIFOS Dsl

Anyone heard of these? they seem pretty good.

XIFOS - http://www.xifos.net/index.php
Home adsl - http://www.xifos.net/home_adsl.php

Cheaper than what im paying with PN and no traffic shaping.

No Traffic Shaping
We do not enforce any means of traffic shaping on our network, we have structured our pricing so that we never have to go down this road like many other ISPs.

No Ports Blocked
We do not block any ports on our services.
7 REPLIES
N/A

XIFOS Dsl

:roll:
Community Veteran

XIFOS Dsl

I've heard that many times from many ISPs. They are now either out of business or have implemented shaping in one form or another (which is known by the users or not) or are likely to do so in the future or you pay a premium for the service - or the service is so bad that it becomes unusable at times (I wonder where I have seen that Wink)

Be very careful when looking at ISPs in general and look at the fine print, as like PN, they often have clauses that allow them to do what they like with the network or implement AUP/FUP policies that may be vague in their descriptions. The worse case is they get swamped with heavy users and go under / get bought out.

Traffic shaping for the budget ISPs is the way things are going as it is just not economic to buy loads of bandwidth, even for LLU, in order to cope with the higher speeds now around. But the problem with budget ISP is they may not be able to afford the hardware to do the traffic shaping and thus, as above, don't last long.

The usual saying still rings true... if its too good to be true, it probably is.
N/A

XIFOS Dsl

Well thanks for the reply mr petervaughan, the traffic shaping does not bother me, i can live with that. Its the lies and deceitfulness from PN that gets me, they state peak times are 4pm-midnight yet p2p is unusable ALL day long.

I just want a ‘decent’ internet service which i had 12 or so months back, god knows what’s going to happen to PN when all the referrals stop, i stopped refering people ages ago :roll:

The usual saying still rings true... if its too good to be true, it probably is.

I don’t agree in this case, i believe Xifos offer a good service for a decent price, they certainly are not cheap. It does not matter to me if 12 months later they go bust or get bought out, at least i would have 12 months of GOOD service.
Community Veteran

XIFOS Dsl

Just one other point...

They are a reseller of broadband, and get their broadband connections from NetServices and EntaNet unlike PN who have their own BT Centrals (excepting LLU which PN get from Tiscali). A number of similar small ISPs supplied by NetServices have gone under in recent months - see ADSLguide & other online press for details. It also means they have to contact a 3rd party who in turn may need to speak to BT to resolve faults which may make the process more complex.

I'm not saying being a reseller is a good or bad thing, just something else to add to the decision making process as it is not always obvious what type of business an ISP is.
N/A

XIFOS Dsl

They are a reseller of broadband, and get their broadband connections from NetServices and EntaNet unlike PN who have their own BT Centrals (excepting LLU which PN get from Tiscali). A number of similar small ISPs supplied by NetServices have gone under in recent months - see ADSLguide & other online press for details. It also means they have to contact a 3rd party who in turn may need to speak to BT to resolve faults which may make the process more complex.

Yep i understand your point but i wonder what percentage of the uk's broadband customers actually care how their supplier is connected to the network. Its definitely not something im concerned about when looking for an ISP.

Good customer service, great choice of packages to choose from and good overall customer feedback is more important to the majority i bet.
shellsong
Grafter

XIFOS Dsl

Quite a few people seem to have been impressed by Aquiss (a small Entanet reseller) who seem to have a good customer service relationship with their customers at present. Mind you if they get a lot of new customers joining at once they probably won't have the staff reserves to maintain the good rapport

Having looked at the Xifos price lists it looks as though they have priced the packages sensibly and I like the way they sell extra bandwidth at half the price many other ISPs including PlusNet do (which can still enable them to make a slight profit out of typical BTw prices) and you can roll over unused bandwidth indefinitely!
N/A

XIFOS Dsl

Hey thanks, i will look at Aquiss now.

Having looked at the Xifos price lists it looks as though they have priced the packages sensibly and I like the way they sell extra bandwidth at half the price many other ISPs including PlusNet do (which can still enable them to make a slight profit out of typical BTw prices) and you can roll over unused bandwidth indefinitely!

Yep i quite like the idea of being able to pay for extra gig's if needed, rather than having your account managed till the next month.