cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Subnet Mask reported on WAN interface!!! HELP!!!

N/A

I have a DabsValue Conexant AMX-CA16 router. Up until recently, it was working perfectly. I returned home the other day to find the router power adapter had blown up...

Since then I've bought a new adapter, reset the router to Factory defaults using the internal J7 jumper switch, and then reset all the appropriate settings.

The settings of the WAN interface are set as SUBNET: 255.255.255.255, but the homepage of the Router settings section report a SUBNET of 255.255.255.0 (the same as my LAN interface).

Anyone have any ideas, cos I'm beginning to get really really frustrated!!!

Thanks in advance!
14 REPLIES
N/A

Subnetting

Hi,

OK I'll cut to the chase here please try to reset your Wan interface's subnet masking settings to any of the following 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0. Let me know if this helps or not?

**I could go into alot of complex technical explanation about subnet masking and what it does and why its used but at this point I dont want to confuse you.

**Just lets say at its bacis level the subnet masking works almost like a filter, its a method to break larger networks into smaller more managable chunks for the network admins people. so if you have 500 machines on one big lan you can manage machines & networks more easily by dividing up your lan into subnets say x5 smaller subnetted networks of x100 machines each by using subnet masks.

**Along with IP address ranges subnets can be used to define how many machines are on each sub network.

PS: do you have any paper documentation or user manual ( say as a PDF file) for your connexant router, I wonder if the makers website would give you further settings for the subnet mask your router requires for normal operation.

Ivan
N/A

More Re: Connexant Router & Subnet mask

Hi aaron76,

RE: Connexant router setup information, I have just found some online documentation which shows screen shots for each configuration page for this router and you can find it at the following URL http://www.farina1.com/amx/

**Also I had a look at the screen shot page for the WAN status and this shows a subnet mask setting as 255.255.255.0

Hope this might be of use?

Ivan
N/A

More info on my post!

Thanks for your replies...I'm fairly au fait with networking, subnets and IP address ranges, as I'm an IT Support Manager.

However, the thing that's confusing me is that I'm setting the subnet on the WAN interface to 255.255.255.255 as stated by Force 9, but as soon as the Router finishes it's boot sequence, the reported subnet on the WAN is 255.255.255.0!!!

I cannot ping any external address, and Force9 Tech Support can't ping my PC...plus, a TRACEROUTE gets them to the external interface of my Router but no further....

I'm beginning to think that my router is bust, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this problem before!
N/A

Subnet & WAN

Hi aaron76,

Apologues sorry if was talking to the converted re: subnet masking concepts. OK from the website & screen shots I saw for your connexant router it DEFINITELY says the WAN interface subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.

So the next question I have is WHY do F9 want you to set the WAN interface subnet mask to 255.255.255.255? this would have a significant effect. Dont forget that subnet masking helps to define the kind of class of network your working with such as a class A, classB, ClassC or ClassD network. And the class of network also tells you something about the sheer scale or size of network too.

From your reply above it seems clear that the WAN interface doesnt want nor doesnt like 255.255.255.255 as the subnet masking settings.

If you tell me the IP of your routers WAN interface I can try pinging and see what response I get if you would like. Dont forget I'm on the same network as you are too.

Obviously the subnet mask settings do have to be correct for the router to function correctly. I wouldnt rush too quickly too the conclusion that your router is broken. For myself I would suggest that this problem is software related and specifically to the way the router saves and retains the correct setup information to memory or file. I think you can only say its broken once you have eliminated software or corrupted setup file information. Yes! you could go back to Dabs or Connexant and ask the to replace the router with one that they themselves they have tested and can prove too you that its working correctly
I.E. Replace the one you have with another of the same make & model that I think would be fair enough.

**No! I still think this problem is that the setup information is NOT being saved or retained correctly inside the router's configuration.

Ivan
N/A

lol i had this yesterday, i was setting up a wireless belkin router for my neibour and i just wouldnt work then about 4 hours l8r i relised he had the wrong cable and gave him my spare one and it worked
N/A

Issue resolved...!

I have now managed to get my second router up and running...turns out that what I was led to believe was the master switch, is actually not, so plonking a microfilter onto the second phone switch in the house now has resolved the problem!!!

Thanks guys for all your help!
N/A

this what happend;

you need powerpoint to open it:

www.garytester.force9.co.uk/method.ppt
N/A

Up and running

Hi aaron76,

Glad your sorted now and up and running!! so wasnt a subnet masking issue after all??

:lol: Ivan
N/A

Replying

Hi Garytester,

Yep!! after looking at you PPT presentation that definately makes alot more sense. Again glad its working now that all the peices are in the right place.

Yep! I did a commercial installation for a small business client and had similar problems knowing where and how to place the router. Especially as a previous cowboy support company had done fast & dirty install so I had to work out what they had done and how they had done it before I could untangle the whole thing then put it all to rights. But got there in the end & even successfully managed to install and configure my first ADSL router but the client still complained and winged (some people are never satisfied even when you give them what they want or ask for!! right pain).

Ivan
N/A

im gonna get the router hes got soon or maybe force9's BT Voyager, whats better BT/Belkin, i think its quite a stupid question but ive never seen or used the BT one. do BT do good routers? i know belkin do!
N/A

Routers

Hi garytester,

In reply to the above, BT themselves DONT do routers they only supply branded products from other makers (or rebadge them). I know D-Link products for ADSL BB include a range of routers for SOHO users & have a good track record, Belkin products are good too, Cisco if you want something with extra advanced features & bells & whistles. Dont know anything about the F9 product at all.

Ivan
N/A

from previous engagement , D-Link are very good but the belkin router is cheaper and a lot more compact and ive managed to set one up in under 5 minutes. here it is : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5366059721&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3... , its build quality is very good.
David_W
Rising Star

The dabs modem you got, is actually pretty good, I use it myself, not that version though mines the safecom but its all built around the same system. I'm guessing it couldnt be pinged because the firewall on it is always on so pings would be dropped.

The WAN subnet on mine is 255.255.255.0 too.

Best bit about the router though, so many people make routers based around it you can pick and choose your firmware, I'm using Billion firmware, from Australia on mine, though JDK is pretty nice.

http://www.adsltech.com/portal/forum/ is the place to find out all the stuff Smiley
N/A

i saw that 255.255.255.255 on the internet and thought it seemed a bit odd so i didnt try it, good thing i didnt. could u give us a link for that dabs modem?