cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless webcams?

N/A

Wireless webcams?

Is there such a thing as a pc/ router compatible wireless webcam? I bought a laptop to make my connection to my wireless router with the intention of plugging in a usb webcam which would be directed to my fish tank. This seems a bit of a waste to me and I am wondering if there is such a beast at a reasonable price that will transmit wirelessly to my router? I have seen the wireless cams which are primarily for cctv use, but they all have their own wireless station and are not really what I want.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark
11 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless webcams?

Wireless PT NetCam www.lindy.com/uk - Cost £395

Reviewed
PCFormat - Issue 186 - April 2006 - Rating 70%

or you could look at the following, but it isn't wireless

Webcam Live! Motion www.creative.com - Cost £100

Reviewed
PCFormat - Issue 186 - April 2006 - Rating 74%

missed the l - only just reliased
N/A

Wireless webcams?

Bl**dy hell, too rich for me!!!! How on earth can that sort of money be justified when you can get the essential bit (router) for £70!!

Is this more rip off Britain or does it apply everywhereHuh?

Mark
N/A

Wireless webcams?

Hi Mark,

Well YES! I tend to agree that these cam's are VERY expensive but you have to remember that what causes it to be so costly is because they are wireless and I suspect thats why? really. Especially if you compare the costs to the wired equivalents.

Ivan
N/A

Wireless webcams?

I see where you are coming from Ivan, but a wireless adaptor only costs less than £20!! Surely the technology that allows a webcam to work over wires can't be that dissimilar to the technology that allows it to work wirelessly? I don't mean the obvious differences, but take my laptop. I could pay an extra £100 for one with integrated wireless or buy one without and pay £13.99 for a usb adaptor. Unfortunately, I don't think that is possible with webcams Sad

Mark
N/A

Wireless webcams?

Hi Mark,

YES! well I think that you've almost answered your own question there? The expensiveness is because whilst wireless in other forms like laptops, wireless network cards, routers, etc are NOT so expensive. The problem I suspect is that when it comes to wireless webcams the technology isnt as simple as it sounds and secondly I suspect some of that expense is because these cams are a niche product so you pay a premium price for them as it were?

Ivan
N/A

Wireless webcams?

I have just noticed PC World are selling a wireless webcam now: [Link removed as making forum display incorrectly] (sorry, don't know how to make a small link). Looks like it should work okay with my wireless router. Anybody got any comments please?

Mark
N/A

Wireless webcams?

N/A

Wireless webcams?

The cheapest I have found it is for £30 at Micro Direct!!! I have emailed them to make sure the price is correct, and it is.. Problem is, everyone that sells it is out of stock at the moment Sad

Mark
N/A

Wireless webcams?

what is the link at microdirect ?
N/A

Wireless webcams?

N/A

Wireless webcams?

Funny, despite emailing and asking if the price shown was correct, and being assured it was. Looking at the item today, it is now £75.90!! I have been tracking this all week as they were supposed to have a new delivery on the 6th, but it never materialised.

Don't know if it is a shortage or just not readily available over here yet??

Mark