cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless hardware

N/A

Wireless hardware

I am looking to purchase a laptop in the very near future (i.e. this week) which will be wireless enabled.

At the moment, my ADSL is provided by the Binatone USB modem, which has served me extremely well this past few years. Obviously this will be of no use to me when wanting to access the 'net wirelessly from my laptop in my home.

I should also like to keep my desktop connected so in effect, they are networked, with the possibility of adding my son's computer in later months. Am I better off buying a wirelss router and installing a wireless pci card into my desktops, or buying a wireless router and hard wiring the desktops to it?

I am an extreme novice when it comes to routers, I would prefer to be able to have a modem that could do all of this as when I turn my pc's off, I want the internet connection of too.

Any advice please (in easy terminology) on what I should be looking for, advice, etc? (Needs to be reasonably priced too).

Thanks

Mark
9 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless hardware

Hello Mark,

OK! I have worked with & installed both ADSL modems and ADSL wireless routers & have installed several wireless routers just recently. Yes! there are several suitable wireless products available at reason prices. I could recommend the D-Link DI 624+(AirPlusG+) this is a wirless router that can be plugged into either a BT phone line or NTL cable connection. The router also has x4 LAN ports on the back which enables you to hard wire other computers into the router if you dont want the computers to use a wirless connection inside your house/building.

**But if your setting up machines to use wirless YES! you would need to buy and fit (inside the desktop) a wirless network card which would then talk to your router for web access. This is what I have been doing for a friend locally to me.

**The D-Link router can be seen and bought from CCL Computers as firm based close to Bradford, here in West Yorkshire. CCL's price for the 624+ (AirPlusG+) Router is £38.22 inc VAT (NOT inc P&P).

**Web address for D-LINK is http://www.d-link.co.uk
**Web address for CCL is http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk/

**The router comes with a cable for setting up, software (Drivers),manual,etc.

**Prod description:- for the router: - The DI-624+ AirPlusG+ is a high-speed 2.4GHz 802.11g wireless broadband Router with a built-in 4-port Fast Ethernet Switch. It incorporates high-speed wireless LAN with speeds of up to 54Mbps. This router lets you quickly share DSL or cable modem Internet connection, with or without the network wires. With advanced functions traditionally found in business-class routers, this router gives your business a cost-effective way to install a secure and fast network with bottleneck-free link to the outside world.

Ivan
N/A

Wireless hardware

HI Ivan

Thanks for the reply. I have taken on board your recommendations and I know where CCL are, I am about to throw all your hard work away!!

I was lured into PC World today where I purchased my cheap laptop, it does what I want it to do anyway, an Advent 7081. It was £80 cheaper than the cheapest integrated wireless unit they had. I then thought about the router and two usb connections for wireless use. PCW recommended the Belkin F5D7632UK4 54G WIRELESS MODEM ROUTER and 2x BELKIN - 54MBPS WIRELESS G USB NETWORKING ADAPTER.

The two items together gives me a grand total of £94.28. Now obviously the PCW router is almost twice the price of the one you have recommended Ivan. What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Wireless hardware

Hi Mark,

PCW!! Yak!! Yak!! Yak!! their after sales service isnt renouned to be that good frankly. Their OK if you only want toner cartidges, or CD-R disks but serious hardware I dont think so. I'd rather buy from CCL or Intelect computers, or Misco / Inmac (but tend to be abit more costly on the delivery costs).

**Belkin Router I have no experience with that specific make but my experience is with Cisco & D-Link or some other brands you wont have heard of before. However I do have a Belkin wirless keyboard & mouse combo which is nice and has been very reliable. The router should be OK Belkin has been around for quite some years & does have a reasonable name but it wouldnt have been at the top of my list TBH. Belkin are on a par with Netgear IMO.

NOTE: Just a comment, routers are not the easiest of things to setup & configure if you have never set one up or have limited networking knowledge. This is especially true on the security aspects such as setting up the firewall or NAT's. They can be quite complex to setup correctly, getting your network secure is especially important with WiFi as you can be a victim of drive by hacking if NOT or other wifi people locally wanting web access via your insecured system (free internet access that you are paying for otherwise!). Even if you have previous IT or networking experience, I was able to setup my friends D-Link wireless router & wireless desktop machine but it took me about 1-2 hrs as it is connected to an NTL cable modem & DigiBox.

**Let me know if you get stuck or want me to help you set it up, I'd be happy to come to some arrangement with you?

Ivan
N/A

Wireless hardware

Cheers Ivan

I have seen that Light Computers, just off Desbury Road sell the D Link routers, so I think I am going for a ride there this afternoon.

I'll scream when I need help Cheesy

Regards

Mark
N/A

Wireless hardware

No! Probs !!

Ivan
N/A

Wireless hardware

Maybe I won't use Light then. Having browsed their site ad confirmed they sell this hardware, I went for further information to be told it was only suitable for cable!!

Mark
N/A

Wireless hardware

Hi Mark,

Thats news to me NOT heard that said before now? Although the friend I set it up for recently does have NTL cable connection to the internet. But if you look at the D-Link product specification no where does it say its only for cable connections though.

I hope this isnt the case as another friend of mine has just bought this make & model on my recommendation and she only has BT phone line.

**TBH I cannot see what difference that should make in terms of connection or use. But I might just go back and have another closer look at the product spec.

Ivan
N/A

Wireless hardware

Hi Ivan

Thanks for all your suggestions/ offer of help, but I have gone and done it my own way now Shockedops: After being told about your router of choice, I went back to PCW (don't be sick just yet). I find that the staff at the ring road branch can be very helpful, if you get the right ones.

Apparently, (I haven't checked the spec as i've been swearing all day) there is a difference between cable routers and BT line routers. The BT line routers apparently need the integrated modem, which allegedly cable ones do not.

I bit the bullet and bought the Belkin in the end as my next door neighbour has one, as does my brother, but neither are technically savvy.

What a nightmare :!: Installed the new router, fired it up, went to the Belkin ip range and couldn't connect to F9. I had to reinstall my USB modem to download a firmware upgrade. This allowed me to connect but no access to the WWW. After a brief chat with Belkin Mumbai (freephone number which is unusual) they told me to return it. As PCW is only down the road, it wasn't too bad. Bummer if I had bought it mail order though! The new router works a treat and I am sure I will eventually find out what all the settings are for one day Cheesy It seems as though the connection is quicker, maybe that is my imagination.

The next thing is the USB adaptors. I have loaded the software to my laptop and I think the network security is okay (need to wait for my neighbour to get back to see if he can get into it). The problem I have is that the adaptor has to be removed from the usb port when it is being moved around. When the adaptor is put back in, the installer wants to reinstall the drivers and software for it, this is a bit of a pain and I am now trying to find a way of stopping this happeneing.

The upshot is, thanks for your advice Ivan, sorry I didn't take it!!

Mark
N/A

Wireless hardware

Hi Mark,

No! problem I'm NOT in the least put out you didnt follow my advise, at the end of the day you have to follow what you felt was right for you. Anyway, Glad you now have the Belkin router up and working well done. As you can now see what I meant about routers can be abit tricky at times.

**I'm still doing my product research for my friend and we will probably stick with DLINK ( well I like & trust them ) but I'm nolonger so certain about the 624G+ but have now found the next best thing which is the DSL-G604T DLink Router but I have a feeling this is a very new product as I havent been able to find a price for this router yet? But I think its spot on for my friends requirements though.

Ivan