cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Router and VPN

N/A

Wireless Router and VPN

Having recently purchased the Toshiba WGB1200A wireless router/modem, does anyone have any hints or tips or warnings about setting up wireless routers with F9 ADSL?

Also, I intend to use VPN to access my company's system for home working. Again does anyone have any experience of setting this up?

Many thanks

Simon
6 REPLIES
N/A

Giving you what little I do know

Hi,
I'm no expert in this area but I do have some commercial IT experience and I am MCSE trained. What I can tell you about is that amongst IT professionals its now a well accepted fact that when setting up wireless devices (inc routers and access nodes or access points/gateways out onto the web). Such wireless devices come with very soft and squiggy security settings which if you leave them unchanged you do leave your computer or network rather vulnerable to hacking attempts or cracking attemps.

The security protocol used is called WAP (wireless aquivelent privacy), you MUST change the default settings (the one's it installs for you when you first set-up such a device) otherwise your going to be far game for any wood be hacker/cracker attempting access to your system/s.

**VPN's
From my own limited experience of setting up VPN's its never as simple or straight forwards as alot of people will tell you. I would advise you to definately get a good book on this subject and talk to someone (if you can?) who does have previous VPN set-up experience. The more reseach you can do into the subject prior to setting up your connections the better off your likely to be and the higher the chances of success.

**Wireless does have its limitations as well as its benefits.
Wireless standards are still being faught out between different providors and so the wireless revolution has yet to really take off in my humble opinion. The reason for this is because several of the major wireless players & bandwidth providors cannot agree on a universal or common wireless standard. So if you have wireless access with one providor and go too a cafe or airport hotspot you might be in for a shock when you find your wireless laptop wont access the web in seconds because you have the wrong wireless standard. Its very like the battle some years ago between VHS & BETAMAX video. Eventually one will become the dominant standard and the other will die a natural death, leaving everyone using the same standard.

:-) Ivan
N/A

Re: Giving you what little I do know

**VPN's
From my own limited experience of setting up VPN's its never as simple or straight forwards as alot of people will tell you. I would advise you to definately get a good book on this subject and talk to someone (if you can?) who does have previous VPN set-up experience. The more reseach you can do into the subject prior to setting up your connections the better off your likely to be and the higher the chances of success.

Although, if you're just using a VPN client, then it's actially quite easy to setup. Almost all current routers (inc. wireless) support VPN pass through which is what is required for your PC to connect to a VPN server. I am of course assuming that the company already has a VPN server setup.

As usual, I would *STRONGLY* recommend configuring a firewall (at least on your PC or your router).

Neil
N/A

Wireless Router and VPN

I am running Zone Alarm on my home PC and my company laptop (to be used with VPN) is running Zone Alarm Pro. Is this an acceptable firewall product, would you say?

BTW, have installed the Tosh WBG1200A and like most things in life, it hasn't worked first time. At the moment I am getting a continualy disappearing link - that is, I am connected for approx. 30secs and then it goes for approx. 15secs. This is repeated constantly. F9 have passed the problem to BT believing it to be a line fault. Any suggestions anyone? Cry
N/A

Wireless Router and VPN

Zone Alarm is good - you may need to configure it to allow the outgoing VPN requests - depending how you've configured ZoneAlarm alerts, the first time you use the VPN connection, it may 'pop up' a request to allow it to happen.

Can't help with your Tosh WBG1200A, but as to your poor line connection, have you done the usual stuff of disconnecting ALL phones, Sky box, Caller ID devices etc from your phone line and tested with just the router? Also, check if any of your microfilter(s) are faulty. Also, see the ADSL: Trouble Shooting Tutorial & FAQ for some help.

Regards

Neil
N/A

Wireless Router and VPN

Thanks Narrs

I have left the Zone Alarm default settings in place and, as you say, erview each request for Internet access as it pops up.

With ref to your suggestion on testing the connection. I have a master socket and one extension. I have replaced the cable between the two and tested the router directly in to the master socket. The problem remains the same.

I guess I'll just have to wait for BT to come and check the line, assuming F9 get round to making the appointment!
N/A

Wireless Router and VPN

I recomend draytek kit and the support pages have a good setup giude which will give you the principles whatever kit you use.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/index.html