cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless/Router/Modem

N/A

Wireless/Router/Modem

Hi all,
I have 2 computers and was considering networking them. I wanted to do this via a Wireless router/Hub/Modem. I have Broadband. Can anyone recommend which hardware to buy and give me any hints on networking, i.e. setting this up?

All info gratefully received
2 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless/Router/Modem

Hello dillyg

With an ADSL wireless router you can certainly network your computers, enabling each computer to access the Internet, sharing your ADSL connection, and to access resources on the other computer which have been made available for sharing (eg files and printers).

I suppose the major decision is whther to buy an ADSL router with built in wireless networking features, or a router and wireless access point as separate units. The former is probably going to be cheaper overall and is probably simpler to install (you don't have to get the two different devices talking to each other), but it does mean all your eggs are in one basket; if one bit breaks or you want to upgrade your technology, you may end up having to replace the entire system. If you choose separate components, you also have a much wider choice of devices, perhaps bewilderingly so.

If you choose a combined ADSL router with wireless capability, I'd suggest going for one of the recent IEEE 802.11g wireless products such as the Netgear DG834G. I don't have one myself, but I believe it's a popular model which is pretty easy to set up.

Reviews of other products, including the older Netgear DG824M can be found at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/ (They don't seem to have a review of the DG834G yet.)
N/A

Wireless/Router/Modem

Thanks for the info it was a great help. I am going to check out the website and you have clarified quite a few points for me.

Many thanks