cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Network with ADSL

force9

Wireless Network with ADSL

I have an ADSL connection with a USB modem as supplied by Force9. I want to set up a wireless network so that I can use my internet connection on a second computer in another room in my house. Can anyuone tell me the best way to do this.

I want to minimise the number of units that need power so I expect that I will have to buy a new modem/router.

Is an ethernet card necessary or can I use a USB/Ethernet adaptor - I do not want to fill my last PCI slot.

I want the system to work on the second computer when the first one is turned off.

Any other advice you cann give would be most helpful.
--
Geoffrey
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Wireless Network with ADSL

I have a router that's plugged into a hub, which all the pc's in the house use to network.
it's very easy, but you will need some new hardware.
that's the way i have it working. but you might want to consider a usb wireless network adapter. but you will need one for each pc. either way you will need a router, with at least 2 ethernet ports.
N/A

> I have an ADSL connection with a USB modem as supplied by Force9. I want to set up a wireless network so that I can use my internet connection on a second computer in another room in my house. Can anyuone tell me the best way to do this.
>
> I want to minimise the number of units that need power so I expect that I will have to buy a new modem/router.
>
> Is an ethernet card necessary or can I use a USB/Ethernet adaptor - I do not want to fill my last PCI slot.
>
> I want the system to work on the second computer when the first one is turned off.
>
> Any other advice you cann give would be most helpful.
>
> --
> Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,
My understanding of what you want to achieve is this, you can connect a wireless access node/point to your main machine (the machine that has ADSL connection) a second machine such as a laptop or desktop would require a wireless lan adapter or wireless card (you would remove the old network card from one of the internal slots)this second machine would gain web access through the wireless node connected to your main system. In windowsXP these sorts of functions have already been designed/built in. i.e 802.11b enabled.

Web access & ADSL <-> Main machine<->Wireless node<-> second system with wireless card.

Ivan

--
N/A

> > I have an ADSL connection with a USB modem as supplied by Force9. I want to set up a wireless network so that I can use my internet connection on a second computer in another room in my house. Can anyuone tell me the best way to do this.
> >
> > I want to minimise the number of units that need power so I expect that I will have to buy a new modem/router.
> >
> > Is an ethernet card necessary or can I use a USB/Ethernet adaptor - I do not want to fill my last PCI slot.
> >
> > I want the system to work on the second computer when the first one is turned off.
> >
> > Any other advice you cann give would be most helpful.
> >
> > --
> > Geoffrey
>
> Hi Geoffrey,
> My understanding of what you want to achieve is this, you can connect a wireless access node/point to your main machine (the machine that has ADSL connection) a second machine such as a laptop or desktop would require a wireless lan adapter or wireless card (you would remove the old network card from one of the internal slots)this second machine would gain web access through the wireless node connected to your main system. In windowsXP these sorts of functions have already been designed/built in. i.e 802.11b enabled.
>
> Web access & ADSL <-> Main machine<->Wireless node<-> second system with wireless card.
>
> Ivan
>
>
>
> --
>

Oh! I forgot to say that you would have to enable/switch on internet connection sharing in windowsXP for the second machine to gain web access though.

--
N/A

This approach will work but you will not be able to access the connection unless the PC which has the USB modem is switched on. So i would advise a wireless(802.11b)router(£100) and 2 wireless(802.11b) network adapters(£30).
Should work a treat!
N/A

> This approach will work but you will not be able to access the connection unless the PC which has the USB modem is switched on. So i would advise a wireless(802.11b)router(£100) and 2 wireless(802.11b) network adapters(£30).
> Should work a treat!

Hi,
Whilst this is true perhaps your forgetting that installing & correctly configuring a router is not a job for the faint hearted. i.e. not an easy task even for the experienced computer user. Ontop of this if you are going to use wireless technology then security is a top concern here. It is a well known fact that WEP (wireless equivalent privacy)security installed with its default settings is about as usefull as a chocolate fire-guard, its vital that you change these settings if you want your connections to remain secure. I have also heard that IPSec can be used over wireless too.

--
N/A

Yes, you can do this.

I understand that you want the second computer to use wireless protocols, but I'm not sure what you intend for the first one - both options are open to you.

If you don't want to use PCI cards in your PCs, you could look at devices like the Netgear MA101 "Wireless USB adaptor" (£42 from Dabs), Linksys WUSB11 "Wireless USB Interface" (£48 from Dabs), D-Link DWL-120 "USB 11M Wireless LAN Adapter" (£53 from Dabs) or similar products would give you a USB connection to an IEEE 802.11b wireless network.

Contrary to other opinion expressed here, I would definitely recommend an ADSL router. I simply do not accept the argument that these are difficult to set up - I maintain that they are less difficult and less problematical to set up than ADSL modems, and the newer models make the job easier still. What will make it more complicated, however, is the wireless aspect, especially if you decide you want your network will be entirely wireless (so that you have to have got the wireless network operating before you can even start to configure the router). You have a choice here - either a standard ADSL router plus a separate Wireless Access Point (WAP) or an ADSL router with built-in WAP, of which there are now several models.

If you go for a separate router and WAP, you would use a short length of Cat 5 UTP cable to connect the WAP into one of the LAN ports on the router. A WAP such as the Netgear ME102 (£81 from Dabs) uses a USB connection from your computer to configure it (I know this because I have one of these WAPs); which will give you the means to provide it with compatible network settings to work with the ADSL router and with your USB wireless adaptors. Having done this, you will then be able to use your wireless network to configure the ADSL router itself.

For an idea of this sort of setup, see http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q3/bto-linksys.asp, and refer to the diagram for the "Infrastructure Mode". The "ADSL Ethernet Router" and "Ethernet 10/100 Switch" are often a single physical device, so the Wireless Access Point simply connects into the back of the router. You might not be using wired connections for your computers, so forget the other computer in this diagram, and instead refer to the earlier diagram where the two "Mobile computers" may be considered to be your two machines with their USB wireless adaptors, transmitting and receiving (across the text in that article!) to the Wireless Access Point and thence to the ADSL router.