Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP problem

cannylad
Grafter

Windows XP problem

Hi,
The proble starts when WinXP HE, is loaded. Everything seems ok then all of a sudden all the icons on my desktop disapear and then re-appear. It usually happens when I click on any of the icons on my desktop.
Any ideas whats causing this and how to stop it? I am fully up to date with the Windows patches and downloads.

Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

Windows XP problem

Redraw issue? Could be a video card driver. what kind of video card do you have? It might be worth checking with the manufacturers site.
N/A

Windows XP problem

i havre exactly the same problems, on my laptop i eventually tracked it down to my video drivers and XP SP1 that cause the problem,

except for me no updated video drivers. so its either an unpatched system or i have to live with it, just hoping that SP2 whenever it may appear will address the problem

Darren
N/A

Have You Tried?

Hi bookofshadows,

The kind of problem/s you describe can even be down to something as picky or finickety as the individual copy of the said video drivers themselves. Have you tried downloading or sourceing fresh copies of your driver files, un-install the old ones and install the newest ones and see if this makes a difference.

It may or may not help but you have little to loose bye trying? just a thought for you.

Ivan
N/A

Windows XP problem

Hi Ivan,

yes ive tried drivers from elseware and just change one problem for another if i run the newest drivers from the manufacturers website then i can no longer suspend, hibernate, or shutdown windows cleanly :/

so its the lesser of the two evils, i have even tried 'unsupported' drivers which doesn't help the situation

Darren
N/A

XP Service Pak

Hi Again,

OK so you've tried those things then I tend to agree with you on this one, I'd completely agree that its down to the service pack 1. But I wouldn't hold your breath on service pak 2 sorting this out completely for you either.

*It does sound like the problem with the suspend,hibernate,etc might be part of the problem. Have you also tried turning off the suspend,etc functionality to see if this helps the symptoms?

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

XP Problem

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I have a Radeon 7500, I downloaded new drivers for it but like everyone else there is no real change.
Suppose I will just have to live with it.

Thanks
N/A

Have You Also Tried?

Hi,

The only other thing that you might do is try looking through Microsofts Technet Knowledge Base to see if you can find specific references to this particular XP problem of graphic cards being affected by service paks (SP 1) and suspend,hibernation function.

There is a strong chance that you may well find information on this kind of thing if you search carefully enough using the right key search words.

Ivan