cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP Pro & Macs

N/A

Windows XP Pro & Macs

HELP PLEASE

Hi can anyone tell me if mac & windows can comunicate with each other?.

I want to get an Apple Laptop and use it at home on my network with my windows setup.
Will I be able to transfer files and data between the two?

Many thanks. :?
6 REPLIES
N/A

MAC's to MS Win

Hello,

I used to work as a systems administator for a web design company before they stopped trading and we had an windows NT network and we also used many apple Mac G3's mostly for design work.

Well to answer your question Apple Macs do have a very different file system from Microsoft Windows (windows now continues to use the NTFS file system), so as far as I am aware unless either Apple or Microsoft have changed things recently they cannot talk directly to each other. However the way MAC's & XP (or Windows) can co-exsist and work together used to be via an NT server add-on piece of software which was called "Macintosh services for NT" this allowed the server to have a shared folder which apple macs could see and connect with, and files could be saved to or read from. On the NT server, I believe this is still true with Windows2000 server and Windows 2003 server family. So I think if you have a home network you just might be in luck but I'm still NOT 100% sure you would need to check this out to be certain.

**Apple might might also have made changes so its worth doing some google searches to see how compatible macs now are with MS products.

Ivan
N/A

The answer

Hi Again,

If you run a google search on the following :- Can Apple Macs talk to Windows XP? you will get 156,000 pages of relevant items.

**The answer is out there??

Ivan
N/A

Windows XP Pro & Macs

Hi Thanks for your help, will do google search.

Thanks again
N/A

Windows XP Pro & Macs

I'm currently using a G4 PowerBook, and at the minute have it set-up to map to a network drive on a Windows2000 server without having to install any additional software at either end.

Since OS X (or at least 10.2.x when I first moved over) Samba has been installed as part of the base system, and you can access an NT share through finder.

I don't use XP, but I assume things will work pretty much the same way.
N/A

The answer is now

Hi angusg,

So I think "Bytegen" has just given you the answer since apple mac's running OS ten or ten point two you should be able to access win2K, or XP (as these are basically the same or extremely similar, well both use NTFS) without any special or additional software.

**So you see even I've learnt something today, but its no suprise that these two systems can now do this as users and market share probably drove this forwards or just simple user demand.

Ivan
N/A

Windows XP Pro & Macs

Hi Again
Thanks for all your help, when I get my Mac and get it working I try and remember to let you know how I get on.

Thanks again Smiley