Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Explorer on startup

bjanda
Grafter

Windows Explorer on startup

Hi
Anyone know why I have recently been getting Win Explorer once Windows has loaded and the desktop appears?
I have checked startup files and there doesn't seem to be anything different than before this started. I am using 98SE with PIII PC and It's happening every time I boot up.
Info would be appreciated.
Brian.
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Windows Explorer on startup

> Hi
> Anyone know why I have recently been getting Win Explorer once Windows has loaded and the desktop appears?
> I have checked startup files and there doesn't seem to be anything different than before this started. I am using 98SE with PIII PC and It's happening every time I boot up.
> Info would be appreciated.
> Brian.

Go to start, click on run. In the dialog box type msconfig and press return. Navigate to the "startup" tab and look for an entry that says something like "explorer.exe" without the quotation marks. Uncheck this box, click "apply" and reboot the computer. When you've rebooted you may get a box saying that you have selective startup, check the box that says don't display this message again and your problem should be gone.

Just of interest, has this problem occured since you've installed something (ie some software)?
N/A

My Explorer seems a bit fickle too lately. I'm getting a lot of "not responding" problems from start up. I have downloaded Kazaa lately and a freebie Mcafee software package from a pc mag but it really is annoying!

N/A

>
> My Explorer seems a bit fickle too lately. I'm getting a lot of "not responding" problems from start up. I have downloaded Kazaa lately and a freebie Mcafee software package from a pc mag but it really is annoying!
>
>
Have these problems occured since you've downloaded Kazza and / or McCarthy? You could try and disable these as I think these progs usually configure themselves to run at startup. Check my previous post which should give you help on how to do that. Also you can run these programs from either a desktop icon or from the programs menu as and when it suits you, if it then causes your system to crash you may need to consider removing/reinstalling the offending program(s).

Incidently I used to run a program called Nuts & Bolts but found it to be more troublesome than the problems it was meant to cure. Norton Utilities is a good bet though.

--
Life Is A Roller Coaster.
N/A

Yeah I'll uninstall one and see if that makes a diffs, if not then the other.

cheers

bjanda
Grafter

> > Hi
> > Anyone know why I have recently been getting Win Explorer once Windows has loaded and the desktop appears?
> > I have checked startup files and there doesn't seem to be anything different than before this started. I am using 98SE with PIII PC and It's happening every time I boot up.
> > Info would be appreciated.
> > Brian.
>
> Go to start, click on run. In the dialog box type msconfig and press return. Navigate to the "startup" tab and look for an entry that says something like "explorer.exe" without the quotation marks. Uncheck this box, click "apply" and reboot the computer. When you've rebooted you may get a box saying that you have selective startup, check the box that says don't display this message again and your problem should be gone.
>
> Just of interest, has this problem occured since you've installed something (ie some software)?
>

Hi, sorry for delay in reply, been removing several progs
rams to try and solve this problem.
Sorry to say, still no joy, I've run msconfig but there is no explorer.exe listed so I don't know where to go from here. Any other ideas?
N/A

> Hi, sorry for delay in reply, been removing several progs
> rams to try and solve this problem.
> Sorry to say, still no joy, I've run msconfig but there is no explorer.exe listed so I don't know where to go from here. Any other ideas?
>

Is it the "my computer" window that opens or "windows explorer"? Sorry that what I said didn't cure the prob for you, you may find the link below useful.

http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm

This lists all the common startup programs and tells you what they're for (if they need to be there or not).
N/A

> Is it the "my computer" window that opens or "windows explorer"? Sorry that what I said didn't cure the prob for you, you may find the link below useful.
>
> http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm
>
> This lists all the common startup programs and tells you what they're for (if they need to be there or not).
>

This link may well provide the answer, it could be to do with the win.ini file. Read carefully before attempting. You can be assured that as it says, placing a semicolon by the offending line(s) if they're there will just disable them from loading, and to re-enable, just delete the semicolon(s) in question.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/irc.trojan.html

Hope this helps.
bjanda
Grafter

> > Is it the "my computer" window that opens or "windows explorer"? Sorry that what I said didn't cure the prob for you, you may find the link below useful.
> >
> > http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm
> >
> > This lists all the common startup programs and tells you what they're for (if they need to be there or not).
> >
>
> This link may well provide the answer, it could be to do with the win.ini file. Read carefully before attempting. You can be assured that as it says, placing a semicolon by the offending line(s) if they're there will just disable them from loading, and to re-enable, just delete the semicolon(s) in question.
>
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/irc.trojan.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>

Hi again
All seems fine in win.ini and system.ini, also Msconfig does not show anything that may be causing the prob.
The Explorer window that loads is C:, without the Explorer bar.
Don't know if this helps.
Anyway, thanks for your info.
N/A

To be honest, I would be a bit stuck now, I thought one of the other suggestions would work, I had to sort a simular problem out once for a friend and after some faffing around with msfonfig and win.ini. we eventually got it sorted out. As with computer probs there may be other causes but I'm not sure what else to look for at this stage. Sorry about that. Best of luck with getting it sorted.

--
Life Is A Roller Coaster.
bjanda
Grafter

> To be honest, I would be a bit stuck now, I thought one of the other suggestions would work, I had to sort a simular problem out once for a friend and after some faffing around with msfonfig and win.ini. we eventually got it sorted out. As with computer probs there may be other causes but I'm not sure what else to look for at this stage. Sorry about that. Best of luck with getting it sorted.
>
>
>
> --
> Life Is A Roller Coaster.

I think I'll live with it now as it doesn't prevent PC use.
Thanks for all info.
N/A

> Hi
> Anyone know why I have recently been getting Win Explorer once Windows has loaded and the desktop appears?
> I have checked startup files and there doesn't seem to be anything different than before this started. I am using 98SE with PIII PC and It's happening every time I boot up.
> Info would be appreciated.
> Brian.

Ok Brian, its time to get your hands dirty under the bonnet!

Click START then RUN and type in REGEDIT

Navigate to the following registry key and see if there is anything there that is causing your explorer window to open!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You will see a list of programs and files in the left pane that are set to run at startup when you logon. I'll keep an eye on this post in case you need any help.

Karl